Ch.16 ~ Route 9

Y/n's POV

We were driving up Highway/Route 9 Daryl still ahead of us on his bike with Dale and Rick following behind my truck in the Rv and Car. Skylla at some point had hopped off my lap and laid down, her rear end facing Glenn and head resting on my lap. I was reading from a map trying to familiarise myself with Georgia.

"Oh god." I heard Glenn mutter as the truck slowed down. Turning my attention away from the map I looked at Glenn then out the windshield to see the highway jammed with vehicles. I looked to the wing mirror on my side seeing the others come to a stop behind us.

The sound of Daryl's bike approaching made me roll down my window completely as I had half done it up to read off the map and stop it blowing everywhere.

"You see a way through?" I called out to him. He looked behind him then back up to me and nodded. He turned his bike around and slowly started to weave his way in and out of the cars.

Grabbing the radio I turn it on to channel 40 to inform the others as Glenn followed Daryl. "Vehicles jammed up the highway, Daryl says there's a way through but it'll be slow moving."

There were two static cut outs informing me that the others had received the message. "Shouldn't we go back? Isn't there an interstate bypass?" Glenn questioned as he carefully avoided cars.

"Can't spare the fuel." I say as we continued in silence all until a sound behind us made us stop and look in the wing mirrors to see the front of the RV smoking.

"Jeez." Glenn muttered as we pulled over near some overturned cars.

"Driving too slow." I said as I unclipped my belt and opened the door. I hopped out and turned to see Skylla jump down before I closed the door and approached the RV.

The rest of the group gathered around the RV. "I said it. Didn't I say it? A thousand times, dead in the water." Dale said.

"Problem Dale?" Rick asked.

"Oh just a small matter of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no hope of- ok. That was dumb." Dale trailed off as Daryl came over and went to an open trunk of a car and started taking things.

"Can't find a radiator hose here." Shane says.

"There's a whole bunch of stuff we can find." Daryl countered.

"We can syphon more fuel from these cars, for a start." T said as he approached the same car as Daryl and popped the fuel pump compartment open.

"Maybe some water?" Carol said from behind us.

"Food." Glenn added.

"Probably a gun or two. Don't you Americans do that? Keep guns in the glove compartments?" I said as I approached the passenger side of the same car. I pop open the compartment and low and behold a pistol was in there with two boxes of ammo.

"If only we were this carefree in Wales." I said as I held up the pistol and ammo boxes.

"You don't have weapons in your cars?" Daryl mutters as I walk past him and hand the gun and ammo to Andrea.

"No. You have to be licensed to even own one, besides we have our keys." I said turning back around and helping him look through the trunk.

"How's that supposed to help?" He asked as he looked over his shoulder at me.

"Hold them between your middle and ring finger and boom, miniature knife." I say with a smile as I pull out a hat like Rick's cowboy sherif one and place it on my head. "How'd I look?"

Daryl scoffs and flicks it down now covering my eyes. I laugh and take it off putting it on his head. "Hmm the cowboy looks suits you." I tease earning another scoff as he walks off towards another car.