Ch.22 ~ Otis

Y/n's POV

The rattling continued as the walkers bashed against the rail guard. It was the only thing stopping them from getting to us. The other two were still catching their breath. Lent up against the wall thinking we were safe. But that false sense of security wasn't going to last much longer.

A feeling washed over me, one that screamed at me to run. I continued to watch the railguard as the walkers hand stretched through the gaps and their faces pushed up against it.

I looked from right to left, bottom to top looking and searching for why every fiber in my body told me to leg it. My eyes widened when I saw it.

The little pin which held the rail guard shut was slowly rattling and wriggling it way out of the hole. "Fuck!" I exclaimed as all that was left of the pin holding the rail shut was its tip.

I quickly kicked the door behind me open and yanked Shane and Otis by the arms and into the hallways of the school.

"Run!" I yelled just as the sound of the guard sliding open reached our ears. We took off sprinting down the school's halls. Moonlight which shone in through the open class room doors lit up the hallway.

As a kid I'd always wondered what it was like to be in school after dark, once everyone had left... well I can tell you now this is not how I imagined it. Sure maybe my friends and I had thought about being chased by a serial killer around the school or a rabid animal. But never by a herd of flesh eating zombies.

I ran ahead of Shane and Otis with no idea where I was leading them, just running to wherever the hall would lead us. I turned back to look at them. Looking back, things seem to move in slow motion. Like in the movies when the main character realises something during an intense scene.

Shane was only a few paces behind me but Otis was barely outrunning the fastest walker of the herd. I pulled my .50 gs handgun from my holster and aimed it at a walker whose hand was skimming the material of Otis' shirt.

"Ears!" I yelled as the two followed my order and covered their ears, I fired at the walker. The sound echoed throughout the school's empty halls. My ear rang for a moment as I watched the walker fall to the ground.

Shooting that walker had given us an opening to pull ahead. Thanks to that walker now laying dead on the ground in front of the herd of shuffling walkers, they began to trip over the corps, the first few tumbling to the floor and creating more obstacles for the other oncoming walkers.

We sprinted to the end of the hallway as the walkers tumbled and fell to the ground. As we did, the double doors we came to had been padlocked shut. With no other option I pulled the two once more by the arms and around the corner as I noticed the herd starting to stabilise and stand back up.

We continued down the hallways looking and searching for a way out. For a way to shake off this herd and get out. But the more rooms we ran past, the more doors that passed by, it seemed luck was working against us.

We ran till we came to another set of stairs and found we had two options. Go up or go through the double doors ahead of us. We couldn't risk heading higher up; we'd only trap ourselves.

"Through the doors." I said pushing past Shane and towards them.

"No, we go up and shake the herd off with the steps." He said, grabbing my wrist. I went to reply when the sound of groaning walkers turned the corner.

"Yeah... I don't really think this is up for discussion right now." I state as we all had looked back. Shane let go of my wrist and we burst through the doors.

The three of us tumbled into the room Otis and I lent up against the doors while Shane found something to run through the handle bars to blockade the doors shut.