Prologue

"Michael  Clifford, protector of Kenzie Oost, you are hereby banished from all of the celestial realms and shall be sent to Hell immediately." The voice boomed. The boy with the white hair widened his eyes in shock.

"What? No!" He exclaimed in astonishment.

"Loving emotions toward your assignment are prohibited. You know that." The voice pointed out.

"Sir-"

"You are no longer a guardian angel, Michael." The voice interrupted.

Michael closed his mouth. A cry was heard in the large crowd of fellow guardian angels. It was from Allyson, the girl with the wild honey-colored hair and the icy blue eyes. She pressed a soft and dainty hand to her mouth. She knew she would miss her friend Michael terribly.

Michael hung his head as the angels opened the gates for the demons to enter. The demons that would drag Michael to hell.

One was female, with long, straight black hair, stormy grey eyes, and dark red lips. She was short and frankly quite small, but Michael was afraid of the deadly look in her eyes.

The other demon was male, tall and well-built, with tousled, curly brown hair tied up with a blood red bandana. He had a strong jawline, and his biceps were so large that Michael gulped.

The girl marched right up to Michael, grabbed his arm, and dragged him towards the other boy. She only came up to right below his shoulder, but she was strong.

"Come on, Ash. Let's go." The boy-Ash-grabbed Michael's other arm with a wicked grin and started to walk into the gates.

Michael didn't know what color the boy's eyes were. At first, they seemed to be a hazel color, but then they looked to be a sickly green. The longer you looked, the more they changed.

Michael thought he felt someone looking at him as he stepped into the heat of the Stairway, but it couldn't be. No one was permitted to watch angels leave the celestial realm. It was supposed to be shameful.

He looked back anyway. There was, in fact, someone watching, but they weren't watching him. It was a boy, tall and lanky, with soft blonde hair and bright blue eyes.

He was watching the girl. Michael saw the way the boy's eyes followed her hair when it blew around her face. He saw the way the boy looked at her, like he was memorizing every single detail. The girl looked up, and she met eyes with the boy.

For a split second, she changed. Her face softened. Her hair flickered to many bouncy curls, which were golden blonde and looked rather soft. Her eyes turned a light blue color, and her lips tinted a soft pink. She looked almost...angelic.

She brought her hand to her heart and looked away, her appearance returning to normal. The boy's eyes turned desperate, like he knew something that no one else did. His eyes searched her, but she had already looked away.

She grunted and slammed closed the doors to the Stairway.

"Come on." She said.

Michael looked at her more closely. When he looked into her eyes, he realized that he could actually see storm clouds in them. There were rainstorms occuring, with little lightning bolts darting across her irises.

"Who are you?" He asked her.

"The name's Madison." She replied. "But only the Dark One calls me that." She started down the Stairway after Ash, swaying her hips. "You can call me Maddi."

Michael decided not to ask about the blonde boy. Instead, he followed Ash and Maddi down the burning Stairway to Hell.