III

"Artemis, can you please get up already? I need you to check on Feline!"

I let out a yawn, and sat up in my bed. Slowly wiping the sleep out of my eyes, I slipped my way through the cottage and out onto our front porch. The sun had just begun rising in the sky, giving it bright hues of reds and pinks and oranges. It was always so peaceful in this village, and I enjoyed watching dawn sneak up on everyone in their beds—announcing that it was time to rise and start a new day. I clambered up onto the bottom rail, my bare feet sticking out between the birch wood posts as I clung onto the top rail with all the strength I could muster. The sounds of the village stirring has always brought a sense of calm within me. The chickens were clucking, the horses whinnying, and farmers were calling out to their pigs for their morning slop. 

I wish I could stay here forever. 

After a few minutes of avoiding chores, I climbed down from the banister and ran down the front steps. My feet patted gently against the dirt ground as I headed towards the the village's stables. My hair, pulled back in ponytail, swayed back and forth as I skipped down the street—all dirt and smiles, until I noticed something strange at the edge of the forest. I came to a stop, my brow furrowing as I stared ahead to see my father talking to some strange men. 

"Papa?" I called out, my wide blue eyes filled with worry.

"Artemis, run!"

Everything seemed to move more slowly than ever before. I watched, petrified as my father let out a grunt and collapsed to the ground. The high piercing screech of a blade echoed through the now silent village, and I stared in horror at the man on the large black stallion who held the bloody weapon. His smile was poison, and every single part of me felt like stone.

Silence was quickly broken.

Run.

I turned and bolted, just as the men on horseback and those on foot raided into the village. Smoke filled the air, and screams pierced my ears as I ran as fast as I could down the road. Everyone was in a panic, knocking into each other and running for their lives.

"Momma!" My small legs felt like lead, but I pushed and pushed. Everything had turned to chaos so quickly; no one had a chance to think. It was all pure instinct. Time seemed to stop, dragging me back from my destination—but finally, I managed to get to my home. I was just barely on the steps when I saw a man I didn't recognize step out and onto the threshold. He was tall and burly, and quite ugly in the face. A small gasp escaped from between my lips as I stared up at him.

"Well hello there little one-..." his slimy voice sent chills down my spine, but I was stuck. Fear had overtaken me, as well as his large hands as he lifted me off of the ground with no effort. Across his shoulder, I could see my mother and little brother on the floor.

There is so much blood—

"Momma!" I cried out, reaching small hands out desperately towards the woman who had given me life and love. Her body struggled to move, but I could hear her voice croak over the crackling of uncontrollable fires nearby. 

"F-fight... Arte-...mis-.." And she was gone.

There was nothing left in me to scream. All that was left was pain and uncontrollable anger. The man who had me chuckled deeply, and as he went for a knife that was strapped to his thigh I bit whatever piece of his flesh was closest to me as hard as I could. Bitter, metallic liquid slipped over my tongue as he let out a roar and dropped me. 

I was gone before he even had the chance to look. 

A few steps into the forest surrounding the village, my father had shown me a tree. It was a large oak tree, and in it was a secret hiding spot that he had made for me to hide in if ever something were to go wrong. It was here that I hid, in the arms of Gaia, even after silence returned to my home.

Hours seemed to go by, and I thought I was free until I heard a knocking on the tree. I stayed silent, fighting back even the tiniest whimper and folding in on myself as best I could. It was no use. Seconds later, the bark was removed from the tree and light seeped through from the canopy of leaves above. 

"P-please, don't hurt me." I choked out.

"I'm not going to." A young, gentle voice came from the person who opened the door. Surprised, I looked up to see a boy who was no older than I. Maybe seven or eight years old, at most. He had dark brown hair, messy like my own, and vibrant green eyes. 

"Who are you?" That whimper I had tried to hide finally escaped. The boy smiled sadly at me. 

"My name is Auri. What's yours?"

"Artemis."

The strange boy then held his hand out to me, and with what little strength I had left; I took it.