Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9:

CELIA'S POV

My body jolted, my eyelids flew open and I stared into the eyes of William who held me tight in his arms. I sure knew how to pick good looking friends, especially ones with very nice bodies.

"Thank you." I mumbled through a dry mouth.

"You fell asleep in the taxi, I didn't want to wake you. I hope you don't find this too... Personal." I smiled kindly at him, unsure about how far our relationship actually went.

"No, just wake me up next time okay." I said awkwardly. "Now since I'm awake, can you ermm..put me down, maybe? Just a suggestion."

"Oops sorry." He led my feet carefully to the floor, holding my arms to keep me upright. We stood in front of the elevator doors as the number blinked slowly. I pressed the button repeatedly in a row trying to make it reach us quicker, I just wanted to sleep and wake up wide eyed. The door finally glided open and I practically jumped into the lift with William close behind.

He pressed a number and the elevator began moving upwards. The keys to my apartment had to be on me so I felt around for them hoping of some reminder... No such luck. "William I'm so drunk, I think I've lost my keys."

"Oh cr*p, you don't remember." I shook my head, the truth emerges. "Well at least your worries have long passed. You've been staying with me, well for the past weekend."

"That would make sense... Do me a favour would you, tell me why?" I bit my lip worried about what my drinking had got me into.

"You and your mother... It didn't end well, I think we should leave this talk until the morning, you might remember by then anyway."

The elevator made a bing sound and the doors slid open. "If you feel unsteady you can hold onto me."

"William, you are so sweet. Don't take this in the wrong way but are you gay?" I asked as we walked towards a door with the number 49 on it.

"Well duh, baby doll what straight guy would know who Prada is." He mocked shaking his head.

"You mean what Prada is?"

"Whatever, it's got a label, whoopy do!" He found a key and unlocked the door, I stepped in before him eager to remind myself of the life I had so easily forgotten.

"Promise me something, William?" I gulped blinking at the surprising size of the apartment, it was huuuge!

"Uhuh?" He mumbled hanging up his jacket.

"Promise me you'll never let me drink like that again?" I giggled throwing myself on the long leather couch. This place... It was so amazing and swanky I had to make sure my mouth was closed to avoid drooling.

"I don't think I can promise that." He laughed a furrowed his brows.

"What?" I asked confused at his expression.

"Nothing, I just think you should get some sleep." He smiled rubbing his eyes.

"Can we just talk for a bit?" Admittedly I still didn't feel completely at home, this place still felt foreign.

"I guess, if that's what you want to do?" He pulled his phone from his pocket and squinted at the screen.

"Texting your girlfriend?" I smirked eager to uncover more about him.

"Ha, no." He laughed awkwardly, he came over to me over to me on the sofa lifted my legs and sat down with my legs resting on his. We were REALLY good friends, I refused to complain though. "How about you, got a man? You don't normally bring up that topic."

That was a hard question, how could I know? I'd just go with the likelihood. "No I'm a ermm, single pringle."

"Fair enough, you'll find your Prince Charming soon enough." He snorted, yanking his shoes awkwardly off his feet, it then dawned upon me that I was wearing mine still so reached down and clumsily grasped for the tiny buckle, heels sucked. "Here, let me get that for you." And as if his fingers were made for it he unclasped my shoes and threw them across the lounge.

"Thank you." I said quietly embarrassed at my vastly growing stupidity.

"You want to watch a movie?" He offered fiddling with the remote, the problem was that no movies sprung to mind, none at all. I had forgotten everything? This wasn't right, had I hit my head whilst drinking? Surely drinking alone didn't cause amnesia of everything.

"Yeah, sounds good." I smiled weakly massaging my head.

"Any requests?" I shut my eyes concentrating, but no titles sprung to mind.

"Nothing I can think of." I answered through gritting teeth, growing more and more frustrated. Should I tell him about my amnesia, wouldn't he just think I was a loon? Surely he'd send me straight to an institute, or rehab, or wherever they send forgetful people.

William switched the television on and put on a movie called '50 First Dates'. We sat and watched it in silence, now and again twitching at cringey clichés. The resemblance of the film to my life was uncanny, a woman who got into an accident and because of it had brain damage everyday she'd relive the same day over and over, as when she slept her memory went. Before it reached the end I managed to switch off the movies noises, close my eyes and drift off.

-------------------

I woke up to the sweet smell of maple syrup, it smelt amazing. I lay on the sofa, a blanked draped on me and my neck stuck in such an uncomfortable angle that I was certain it'd hurt when I get up.

"Good morning, sunshine." William sung from the kitchen flipping a pancake over with the skill of a chef.

Last nights mysteries still remained, my memories still only remained at the point of waking up with an empty glass, I growled and sat up.

"Not so good morning then? Hangover?" He laughed.

"You could say that..." I mumbled.

"Why don't you go freshen up, might do you some good." I followed orders and jumped into the shower.

When I came out I felt fresh and clean in a perfumed set of clothes, however my brain... Nothing, nada, non.

I sat on a stool and leant against the counter, resting my head against my palms. "William I'm not well..." It was about time I was out with it, the longer I left this amnesia unattended the worse it was possibly going to get.

"What do you mean? If it's hangover I know a home remedy, tastes like cr*p--" He placed a plate of pancakes in front of me along with a bottle of syrup.

"No, I should've told you last night but my memory... Did I hit my head?" I asked playing with the lid of the syrup bottle.

"Are you okay? What about your memory?"

"I can't remember... Anything, nothing at all." I said picking up an entire pancake scrunching it up and squeezing it into my mouth.

"I didn't see you hit your head... Do you want to go to the hospital?" William looked sad, not worried or frightened just plain old sad.

"It must of been before you were looking for me?" I felt stupid, and so crazy.

"It could be..." He ran his eyes up and down me. "Get some shoes on we are going to hospital, now."

"What about the pancakes?" I frowned, they tasted real good, funnily enough I couldn't remember how long it had been since I'd had some.

"We can take them with us." And with that we were gone.