Chapter Eleven: Atop the Eiffel Tower, Part Two

Paige screamed as she felt the fingers of her left hand slip past the platform...but then she cried out in pain as she caught herself with her right hand, and swung back and forth, nearly dislocating her shoulder.

Rather than let go as was her instinct against the pain, she gritted her teeth and gripped the platform harder. Slowly, she pulled herself up enough for her to grab the platform with her other hand. Tears sprung to her eyes...she wasn't strong enough to lift herself up! Then she remembered: Imhotep! Surely he wouldn't let her fall...or would he...?

She felt her grip slip a little and she screamed, kicking her feet wildly. Her hands were sweaty from the fear of heights...and now she was hanging onto her life with the tips of her fingers.

"Help!" she cried, looking up at her white fingertips. She watched as they released the edge of the platform, took in a deep breath to scream...but realized she'd only fallen a foot. She was floating in midair.

It didn't take long, though, for her to soar upwards, for her feet to be put back on the platform, for Imhotep's arms to wrap around her and pull her back from the edge.

She had thought she was shaking before, but now she felt as though she would fall apart. Her heart pounded so hard and so fast she thought it would pound right out of her chest. Her body ached and her shoulder screamed out in pain. She wanted to say 'thank you' or something, but all she could force out of her mouth was 'Uhhh...ahhh...ohhh', and even that was shaky. Without thinking, she moved closer and clung to him. It wasn't that she trusted him, or that it was her way of thanking him...it was her natural instinct to stop herself from falling again.

"PAIGE!" she heard someone cry out. She stepped away from a stunned Imhotep, and saw Alex and the others running up the steps. She walked away from Imhotep to hug Alex.

"Al-al...Alex," she stuttered.

"Where is the Creature?" Ardeth demanded. Still shaking, Paige turned to look behind her, only to find that Imhotep was gone.

"He-he w-was right h-here," Paige said.

"Are you okay?" Alex asked. "I saw you hanging off the edge!"

"Y-yeah, I'm f-f-fine."

"Did he...?"

"N-no. I fell by m-m-myself. He h-helped me b-back up."

"...The Creature...?" Ardeth asked.

"Y-yes."

"Well, we can marvel over that later," Jonathan said. "First I think we should go before the police arrive."

"Good idea," Rick said and turned to go down the stairs.

They began down the stairs, but when Paige fell over from shaking so hard for the third time, Ardeth picked her up. Paige thanked him quietly, and they continued down the stairs.

-

"Okay," said Paige, much calmer now, "Let me get this straight."

"Yeah?" Alex asked.

"We're in Paris, right?"

"Right."

"So," Paige glanced around her. "Why are we eating at McDonalds?"

Alex shrugged as he stuffed another French fry in his mouth. Paige looked over to Evy.

"Don't ask me. Last I remember we were heading towards the café on the corner."

"We're here because I want something American," Rick said. "I went to the Eifell Tower-"

"Eiffel Tower," Paige corrected.