Dating

Shinji stood beneath the refreshing spray of the shower. As water fell over him, he couldn't help but contemplate the recent run of good luck he'd been experiencing.

"I just hope this lucky streak doesn't take a turn for the worse later..." Shinji mused silently as the water continued to flow.

Having spent about five invigorating minutes under the cold water, he closed the shower's faucet, stepped out and reached for a towel. Wrapped in its warmth, he pondered his next move.

"What should I wear?" he thought aloud, swinging open the closet door and eyeing his limited choices.

After a moment of wander, he settled on a gray polo shirt, a pair of jeans, and a black jacket that had the appearance of leather. Completing the ensemble were a pair of gray sneakers that harmonized well with the overall look. A quick splash of cologne and a swipe of deodorant, and he was ready to go.

Exiting his room, Shinji encountered Misato, who was spending some playtime with Pen Pen.

"And what's the occasion for all the dressing up?" The woman inquired, her tone light.

"Just heading out for a few hours. I'll order dinner so that Asuka doesn't have to suffer your cooking. The money's on the table." Shinji told her, leaving some cash on the table as he made his way to the door.

Although Shinji was heading out without his guardian's permission, she let it pass as they would have a more than a decent dinner. "Thanks, Shinji! Have a good time!" Misato waved him off with a smile before returning her attention to her feathered friend. Shortly after, Asuka emerged from her room, her curiosity piqued.

"Where did that idiot run off?" Asuka asked, entering Shinji's room with the intention of enlisting him for dinner duty.

"He's out for a while," Misato said, seated and playfully flapping Pen Pen's fins.

"Out? Where?" Asuka inquired with a hint of annoyance.

"What's the matter, Asuka? Am I feeling some jealousy?" Misato's eyes gleamed with mischief.

"Jealousy? Don't be ridiculous. I just need him to get back here and make dinner for me. I'm not subjecting myself to your cooking," Asuka declared, exiting the room and setting off to track down the missing boy.

"Well, I suppose it's a dinner for two tonight," Misato chuckled, turning her attention back to her aquatic companion.

...

Shinji arrived at a sleek, modern building that, though smaller than his own place, showed an elegant charm. He approached the entrance gate and rang the bell.

"I'm here," Mari whispered, her voice sudden and startling as she appeared at Shinji's side, causing him to jump

"Mari! Geez... You scared me. How did you get down here so fast?" Shinji asked, his heart still racing from the jumpscare.

"I was waiting behind that bush. Thought I'd have a little fun by giving you a scare," Mari admitted with a mischievous grin.

"Well... hello, I guess," Shinji replied, a hint of shyness coloring his tone as she looked the girl,  she was wearing her usual outfit, with a slightly darker skirt this time.

"Don't be shy. Come here!" Mari enveloped him in a hug. Towering slightly over Shinji

"You look pretty," Shinji stammered, his cheeks flushing.

Mari, known for her audacity, found herself blushing in response to the compliment. Both of them looked away, scratching their heads with a touch of self-consciousness.