The New Unit

Shinji awoke, his heavy eyelids protesting against the prospect of leaving the warmth of his bed. His body craved more sleep, but the day ahead demanded his presence at NERV for work and training. With a battle against the Angels always looming, there was no room for laziness. Grappling with his sluggishness, he reluctantly rolled out of his bed.

Noticing Mari sprawled on the futon, sleeping soundly and occasionally shifting between a childlike serenity and a wild youthfulness, Shinji silently tiptoed past her to avoid waking her.

In the dining area, Shinji contemplated his breakfast preparations.

"Well, time to make breakfast," he mumbled to himself.

He set to work, expertly whipping up scrambled eggs with a side of crispy bacon. The sizzle of the pan filled the kitchen.

Soon, Misato emerged from her room, her tousled hair and sleepy demeanor betraying her late awakening.

"Hey, Shinji," Misato greeted, her voice still heavy with sleep. She bypassed any pleasantries and made a beeline for the refrigerator.

As Shinji tended to the cooking, Misato approached him, a mischievous glint in her eye. She leaned in close to his ear, a can of beer in her hand, and her tone dripping with innuendo.

"So, how was your night, huh?" Misato asked provocatively.

Startled, Shinji blushed deeply and stammered, "We didn't do anything!"

"Why so red?" Misato teased, refusing to let the matter drop. "Don't lie to me, boy!"

Panicking, Shinji tried to escape, but Misato playfully chased him around the room, determined to extract details about the "adventures" she believed had transpired the previous night.

After a few minutes of the spirited chase, they both collapsed on the floor, panting from exhaustion. Misato triumphantly cracked open her can of beer as if it were a lifeline in a desert.

Meanwhile, Mari and Asuka emerged from their rooms, both yawning and stretching as they joined the breakfast scene. Asuka cast an annoyed glance at Mari, who seemed unfazed by the sudden frostiness in her friend's demeanor.

Quickly recovering from their chase, Shinji rose to serve breakfast. Misato, despite her failure in extracting information, settled at the table with a pout.

Shinji placed the four plates and joined the girls at the table. Mari, seizing the opportunity, brought up a topic of conversation.

"Misato, I heard Unit 03 is en route to Tokyo-3," Mari stated.

Misato was taken aback by how quickly Mari had received that information. "That's right. It's scheduled to arrive this afternoon," she confirmed between bites of bread.

"Speaking of that, you'll be the pilot for the activation test, if I'm not mistaken," Misato added.

Shinji couldn't help but shudder at the thought, feeling a sense of unease settle over him.

Mari, on the other hand, was surprised by the news. She hadn't expected to be thrust into action so soon.

"That's great! I'll finally have my own Eva!" Mari exclaimed with enthusiasm.

Asuka, despite her usual self-centered demeanor, displayed an uncharacteristic annoyance. "Don't let it go to your head. My unit will still be the best," she declared, her tone carrying a hint of anger.

"Of course, it will be! Your unit is amazing!" Mari responded, attempting to lift her friend's spirits.

Turning the conversation to Shinji, Misato interjected, "Well, Shinji, get ready. In twenty minutes, you have to leave for your training with the captain."