Investigation

Misato returned to the apartment and was met with the sight of Shinji in the kitchen, engaged in conversation with Asuka, while Mari and the Captain chatted in the living room.

"Hey, Misato! Take a seat; Shinji's almost done cooking," the Captain called out, pulling out a chair for Misato.

Misato gladly accepted the offer. She decided to probe Mari again for information about her past.

"So, Mari, what were you doing before you came to Japan?" Misato asked, her tone softer but still curious.

Mari replied without hesitation, "I worked at Nerv UK."

Misato continued, "And before that?"

"I went to school and lived with my mother in England," Mari answered, her composure unwavering.

Misato wasn't done yet. She wanted to understand more about Mari's unusual circumstances.

"And how did you manage to work for Nerv at such a young age?" she inquired, hoping for any clues or hints.

Mari picked up on the probing tone and shifted slightly. "Why do you ask?" she responded more seriously this time.

Misato attempted to maintain her friendly facade, saying, "Oh, I'm just curious. I want to know more about the girl who's dating the boy under my guardianship."

Mari remained defensive. "That's irrelevant in a relationship," she retorted.

Misato, drawing from her own experiences, countered, "No, it's not. Trust me, I say this from experience."

The tension between Misato and Mari was palpable, leaving the Captain feeling uneasy. He decided to make a strategic exit.

"I'll go to the kitchen to help Shinji," he announced, leaving the living room. The last thing he wanted was to be caught in the crossfire of a potential conflict between the two girls.

Misato and Mari continued their verbal standoff.

"Misato, what are all these questions about?" Mari finally asked, her curiosity tinged with frustration.

Misato decided it was time to switch gears and address the underlying issue head-on.

"Questions, that's all," she replied with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. She noticed Mari's unease.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Shinji was plating the food, trying to ignore the tension outside.

"Okay, let's eat!" Misato called from the dining area, breaking the silence. She sat down at the table, forcing herself to maintain an appearance of normalcy.

Mari attempted to take a seat next to Shinji, but Asuka swiftly occupied the spot instead.

"Princess, I was about to sit there..." Mari started to say, eyeing Asuka.

"Too slow, four eyes. Sit across from us," Asuka retorted without even looking at her friend.

Unwilling to back down, Mari teased, "Oh, now you like being close to my boy? Do you want to steal him from me, Princess?"

Asuka, red-faced, jumped up from her seat. "You know what, fine! Keep the seat!" She moved to the opposite end of the table, her cheeks still flushed.

The tension seemed to break as the group began to eat. Mari playfully attempted to feed Shinji a bite of her food, but he quickly turned his head, blushing with embarrassment. Misato watched their interactions closely, her suspicions growing.

After a few minutes, the doorbell rang, and Misato got up to answer it.

"Mari, come with me, please," she requested. Mari followed Misato to the entrance of the building.