Chapter 1: Nothin's Free

You were awkwardly holding onto your drink as you sat on the leathery chair in the quaint living room, opposite of you and on the couch sat the bunny family that still looked so cheerful safe for the small thief-daughter in the middle. She let her clenched fists rest on her legs while their three glasses of water remained untouched.

"As Atsuko's parents we are very sorry for the trouble our daughter caused you, we knew she liked going away from the village a lot but not to mess with other people's livelihoods." The mother began.

Akko's father laid a familiar-looking bag on the table, a half-eaten carrot rolled out of it. "We knew something was off the moment she began to eat less during meals or went as far as going sick, but neither of us ever expected to find a whole bag of carrots laying under her bed during clean up."

You rubbed the back of your head. "Yeah, it didn't throw me out of here but it did leave a bit of a notable chunk out of my usual income, and that's not mentioning the guys who expected me to deliver a set amount these past few weeks."

The mother touched her chest as her big ears began to lay low. "Once again, our deepest apologies."

Akko let out a yelp as her father lightly slapped her on top of her head. "And what do you have to say missy?"

She sent a small glare towards her father only to be met by an even fiercer one, dropping her own Akko sighed before looking back down on the ground.

"I'm sorry..." She muttered close to a whisper.

"Louder," Her father commanded. "And look them in the eyes proper."

A groan of annoyance left Akko before she begrudgingly looked up at you. "I'm sorry!" She shouted, barely sounding apologetic.

"That's better." Akko's father turned to you. "If there's anything we can do to help you recover from this mishap do tell."

You were rummaging through the bag. "Well I think some monetary compensation would be nice, half of these are used and practically worthless to me."

"And that's why we never leave our plates empty." Akko's mother whispered to her daughter, receiving a look of dumbfound confusion from the latter.

"That doesn't even make sense-"

"I'll have to do some math but just from my prediction it'll cost quite the penny, do you think you will be able to pay with whatever currency your folk uses?" You added as you finally looked back at the trio, acting like you didn't hear their hushed conversation as they immediately stopped looking and whispering to each other.

The nose of Akko's father began to twitch. "We could...if inflation wasn't so high on our end lately." He awkwardly chuckled.

The older female hummed. "I wonder...would it be possible to repay you with work?"

The other two looked at her with wide eyes, both holding horror.

"What, like manual labor? Yeah I suppose that is a good compromise if straight payment is not possible, I have enough jobs laying around here." Your eyes looked deep in thought for a moment. "Though it's likely going to take a few months until the debt is repaid and that's without me making up any calculations."

Akko's mother smiled brightly as her ears bounced up happily. "I'm confident Akko can do it."

As her father's shocked look receded into calmness Akko's only intensified. "Akko can do it?!" She stood – or more accurately hopped up. "Are you seriously going to make me work here? Alone?"