Chapter 3: A Night Together

A week had passed since Akko joined you on the farm and so far she was doing a decent job, while you had your doubts it seemed she just needed to be shown the ropes a few times before the hybrid could do it completely on her own. Which was good as it meant you actually got a profitable use out of her which in exchange started to lower her debt.

You were cleaning your hands after another day of work was done, the food for the day soon ready for dinner when Akko walked into the house. Presumably done with her part as she let the shovel she was carrying drop before letting herself fall on the couch with a face plant.

An exhausted sigh left her lips. "I'm so tiiiired!" She drawled out.

You walked out of the kitchen. "That's what work is like down here. Look on the bright side, it shows you are doing your work right."

She turned to face you. "Is it supposed to make me feel like I'm going to die at any second?"

"Oh don't be such a drama queen, you'll get used to it eventually." You lightly scolded, stifling a chuckle.

Akko deepened her face into a nearby pillow. "Somehow I doubt that..."

You couldn't help but stay silent after that with a frown, now that you thought about it Akko did seem oddly more tired as the week went by. And today was one of the easier days of the week! If anything she should've been just as pepper as she was on her first day.

"Look, why don't you take your food now and take an early rest. Maybe it'll help?" You suggested.

A yawn left Akko. "Mmh...maybe," She dragged herself off the couch. "Night."

"Goodnight." You said back, keeping your eyes trained on Akko as she went from the kitchen to the guest room.

As she closed the door you supposed you should finish up and go to bed too, normally you would guard in the shadows of your farm. Mostly to see if Akko was up to any crop stealing again, especially when you heard noises earlier this week. Yet as the crops remained intact and you never crossed Akko through the night you decided it would be fine to go back to your normal sleep schedule. Trusting her enough.

And it would be nice to have a proper good night's rest after a long while of dealing too much with Akko.

~

It was a little after 12 or so in the morning when you were shaken out of your sleep, loud noises of someone clattering about downstairs making you both wonder and concerned about what was going on down there.

Carefully and without trying to get detected in case it were burglars you crept down to the living room, your eyebrows furrowing in confusion as the lights were on. With your suspicion of any thieves going down you quickened your pace.

As you arrived at the bottom floor of the house however the mystery of what was going on in the house still seemed to remain, looking on as Akko was running around the house checking every window like some kind of madwoman. Her hands wielding an old blunderbuss from your great grandfather's time that was previously set up against the wall as a display.

"Atsuko...what are you doing?" You bluntly asked, wiping away the sleep from your eye.

Akko stopped in her rapid movement, only now noticing you were there as she suddenly pulled you down to the ground.

"Wh- Atsuko what is wrong-"

She shushed you, dragging you to the couch before going up. Aiming the blunderbuss at nothing in particular as she went around the room, finally she went back down to your height as she looked at you with the most serious expression you've seen her pull yet. "Wolves."