Last Goodbyes

Me and Cato are led into two different rooms, right next to each other, inside the Justice Building.

I've only been in here once, when my oldest brother became a PeaceKeeper, and we all went to say goodbye to him before he left for District 6.

In my room, there's 3 nice leather couches, all of them black. There's a small table full of snacks, cheese and crackers, apples, stuff like that.

I take a salty cracker and am just finishing it when mother and father walk in. They're smiling, which I hardly ever see, and they're smiling at me. That's an unusual thing. Mother smiles when she comforts Selena, but apart from that, she only ever seems happy when her and father are together, and that never happens, he's always busy.

They tell me that they're so proud that another member of our family is entered into The Hunger Games. I tell them I'm proud of myself. Father claps me on the back and mother gives me a one armed hug. They each have a cracker, with all the sauces and cheese they can fit on, mother says it reminds her of what life was like before all the kids, when they could afford all the extra snacks.

We're not poor, and sure we have crackers in the kitchen, but all the sauces are very expensive, we have one jar every christmas, and there's so many of us at home it barely lasts till January.

Two PeaceKeepers come to take them back outside, then Selena, and the twins walk in. They all hug me, and I don't want them to forget their sister, I'll be gone for a few weeks, so I hug them back.
Valentina asks what I'll do, and I tell her I'll win.

"For Carmela?" Her voice is quiet, but I can hear Selenas voice loud and clear.

"For Carmela." I assure her I'll win, and I'll be thinking of our cousin the whole time, and of course, I'll be thinking of all my siblings too.

Just before they leave, Selena silently presses a long necklace, with an Amethyst crystal on the end, in my hand. I recognise it instantly. This was the necklace our Great Grandmother wore. Selena wore it every day, I was confused why I had it, I was about to tell her I would have to leave it in the Capitol, when I remembered everyone can have a token in the arena, she wants this to be mine.

Everyone in District 2 has a lot of children, that way there's more chance of someone in their family wining the games, and everyone wants that pride in their house. My mother and father are no exception.

After they all leave, a few school friends enter. They're ecstatic that I'm in the game, that they can brag about knowing a tribute. They say it will be so cool when I'm the second youngest Victor.

The youngest was Finnick Odair. He won about 9 years ago, when he was 14. He was from District 4, good in combat, and so dreamy. He won a lot of sponsors, he even got the gift of a trident. He's one of the Capitols favourites I think.

My friends leave, and I'm alone.

I sit on the couch again, and wait for the PeaceKeepers to come and collect me.

I wait for ages, I guess that means Cato has a lot of visitors, and that means I'm waiting for them.

He left school last year, his parents let him drop out so he could focus full time on training. But before that he was always very popular.

Finally, my door opens, and I hear the one next door opening too, a Peacekeepers here to take us to the train station.

We will only be on the train a few hours, we live pretty close to the Capitol.

Thank you for reading this far!! Really means a lot to me! - georgie🌷🏹x