the blossoming of a wilted flower

Raphael was astonished. Crescent was kissing him. He nearly pinched himself to see if he was dreaming, but decided not to and embraced the moment.

Sparks of happiness and excitement brimmed through the both of them. Raphael felt it prickling his cheeks, and Crescent on her shoulders. Raphael cupped his hand against her cheek. She pulled away and rest her face against his palm, contentedly sighing with her eyes fluttered closed.

"You have no idea how much I wanted to do that." She swooned.

"You have no idea how long I wanted that to happen!" Raph exclaimed. "I've been wanted to touch lips for like, ever!"

Crescent suppressed laughter, holding back a toothy grin. "Touch lips? I've never heard that one before."

Raph looked at Crescent's lips, and then down towards her chin. A small dried reddish brown color stained the area. His face paled.

"Are you okay? You have blood right here."

He pointed with his other hand, and Crescent shot up from her resting place on his palm. Quickly, she licked her thumb and wiped the spot away.

"It's probably just some loose blood from my stitches. I have a lot of them," she fumbled, giving a worried smile in reply.

Raphael wanted to pry her further, but decided to trust Crescent. He decided to change the subject and let it go.

"I know almost nothing about you, Cres, except for the superficial stuff." He turned his face back towards the city. "Can you let me in?"

Before Crescent could automatically protest, it dawned on her why she decided to move things so quickly. Her lifespan was a timer, and the cake was nearly ready.

"Okay. I'm actually not an only child. I mean I am now, I guess."

"I have this really terrible uncle named Nolan. He was a SOB, if you know what I mean." She glanced over to Raph, biting her lip anxiously, and kept talking.

"He abused my twin brother Cyrus and I as kids. Made us walk through the hallway with glass on the floor, horrible stuff like that. One day he killed my brother, and I ran back home, which wasn't far from his. They arrested him and put him in prison, obviously."

"Wait, was that why—" Raph started.

"And then at the hospital, after our heart to heart, he wanted to take me home! Was he stalking my family after all this time? I don't even know how he got out of prison..."

Crescent looked at Raphael helplessly, but no tears brimmed. Her eyes were filled with hatred, her purple eyes looking scary, and the brown in the center seemed almost red.

"I hate him, but with how I am right now, how could I ever fight back against that monster?"