Guilt

You went back to the table in a daze, and that daze lingered all the way until you got back to your room.

You had been right in what you said, that you and him either had to be friends or strangers. No in between. You had tried the in between, after he sent you your things and you'd 'broken up'. The next year, you went back home three or four times, and ended up sleeping with him again each time. The last night, three years ago, that was the moment that you realised that you and Brad couldn't ever go back to what you had been trying to capture.

Three Years Ago

Brad rolled off of you, both of you panting in the afterglow of your orgasms, the smile creeping over your face.

"I think that was the best yet." He breathed from beside you.

"Still that girl's party for me, Caitlin was it? With the attic bedroom."

"Oh shit yeah." He laughed as he rubbed his eyes. "Okay, they're tied."

Your phone buzzed from beside you, and you reached over to check the text.

"Ugh, it's my dad. I should get back." You sighed, moving out of bed and grabbing your Tshirt from the floor and pulling it on.

"Oh, before you go." He jumped out of bed, pulling on his underwear before going to his drawers and picking something off the top. "This is yours." He walked over, holding out a book.

"My Alice in Wonderland! I wondered where this went." You gasped as you took it from him, and pulled on your underwear. "Thanks."

"Yeah, no problem. I forgot to put it in that box so."

"Oh...right." You replied, the memory making your chest stab in pain. Then his phone started buzzing. He went over to the bedside table and picked it up, tapping the screen then holding it to his ear.

"Hey. Yeah. No problem. I'll see you in the morning. Yeah, bye." He said before hanging up and chucking his phone on the bed.

"One of the boys?" You asked, as you started looking around the room for your clothes.

"No it was...uhh..."

You turned to look at him as he scratched the back of his neck.

"It was someone else. Someone I met." He explained, his eyes nervously looking into yours. "Like a...girl."

"Oh." You said. You felt like it was hard to breathe all of a sudden. Then the confusion settled in. "Like ...someone you're dating?"

"Maybe. We've only just started talking."

"Right." You nodded. But then you were still confused. "So...if you're talking to someone else...what, what are we doing?"

He didn't respond. You grabbed the rest of your clothes and hurriedly started putting them on.

"I better go." You muttered.

"It's not like we're together anymore. We're just having fun."

"Fun? Okay." You laughed awkwardly. "Sure, yeah." You struggled with your socks, cursing under your breath as you kept trying to shove your foot into them.

"Why are you upset?"

You huffed and stood up straight, setting your hands on your hips.

"I'm not upset. I'm confused. I guess I don't understand why we're doing this if you're dating other people."

"You've been dating other people too." He countered as he walked round the bed towards you.

"Since when?!"