Part Nine

It was difficult to believe the trouble you would have with weening yourself away from Bucky and Steve's interactions. It had almost become second nature to want to call or speak with them, inform them about any good news, be consoled from any heartbreak, just talk with them and feel that close connection. The abject loneliness that came from simply not having their presence had been like having this new void in your life.

It was lucky that you had Wanda to keep you steady when you wanted to feel weak. Wanda had made herself available at all times of day, inviting you over for dinner, celebrating you're the job offer from Timothy. It was nice to have that distraction, but it never seemed to last long enough. Wanda had her own life and her own love with Vision. It wasn't fun playing the third wheel to an overly loving couple, especially when it felt like your own love life was going nowhere.

Wanda cut through your thoughts. "Oh, wow. How about this guy?" Then flip your phone to be facing you to reveal another candidate from whatever dating app she had currently signed you up to. "So, he works in a museum and seems cute, right? He has kind eyes." Wanda mentioned, which made you huff and shrug your shoulders indecisively. "I-I don't know, Wan... I just... I'm not sure I'm ready for all this again yet."

The two of you had been arguing if you were ready to fully get back out into the dating world again. It wasn't like you had really been looking to date when Bucky and Steve had pushed themselves independently into your life. It had just happened in a beautiful whirlwind that left you strangely empty now that they were no longer there. It wasn't like it could have ever worked out anyway. They were colleagues. How were you supposed to explain that you had been 'dating' the other without residual trouble?

A tender sigh slipped from Wanda's lips. Reluctantly she nodded her head and placed your phone carefully between you both. "I get it. I just want you to be happy and I'm worried that one of them might try and make their way back into your life. After what Detective said, I'm worried-" "There is no need to be worried, Wanda." You informed her with a careful tone. "I cut them both off and they haven't tried contacting me any other way. I'm sure... I'm sure they spoke to each other, figured out they were both perusing the same woman and decided to put their friendship before that." Then shrugging, you didn't really know that, but that was what your mind had convinced you.

"Maybe." The redhead hummed in response, shook her head and sat back in her chair. "Why don't we go out for some dinner tonight? Just you, me and Vis..." Internally you found yourself cringing at sitting in on another of their dates. A voice came from behind you before you could even think of an excuse. "What? Do I not get an invitation?" Then glancing over your shoulder to see Pietro standing with his hand pressed to his chest as if he had been wounded by her words.

Rolling her eyes, Wanda answered. "Of course not, brother. Do you believe it would be something you could be on time for?" Then tilting her head in that very traditionally Wanda way. "Perhaps not for you..." Pietro quipped, then moved to rest his hand on your shoulder. "But for our special friend, I would not miss a second of it..." Again, she rolled her eyes which made you giggle, before patting Pietro's hand. "It would be great to go out with you guys. Thanks." "Great, I'll have a taxi pick you up later, alright?" Wanda announced and sweetly, you nodded in response.

At least if you were going to be dragged along on another of Wanda and Visions' dates, Pietro might act as a good distraction from their lovey-dovey behaviour.