Chapter Two

"We may look dumb and poor, but we want more than your money" a boy chanced as he touched my shoulder and i went on fight or flight mode. Looking for a weapon i was just going to make a move when he said "she's my piece of meat, murad. Dont tamper " he warned. Which made me cringe at my very bit of existence as a woman.

But he seemed to hold an aura among them. Which brought me some relief. They stood out at once. Only then did i made him out. He sat just outside the shop on the concrete steps of the shop. His eyes were still and even more bloodshot but more sober than his companions. His head was tilted to the wall, which kept his long throat on display which made me recall a peacock i saw on the collet aerial zoo back at haryana. His arms could easily defy a city dweller making muscles at the gym and chest broad under the white cotton sleeveless punjabi he wore with a red gamcha (a towel commonly found in india) along his neck. His hair ruffled suggesting a long day.

Though i feared it even more because the very thought of overpowering him left me at the moment i saw this man's well muscled body but somewhere it would be possible to wit him and run even if je tried to rape me, i would lure him until the morning and have s chance to run away.

As i was making this mental calculations, The man who touched me in the first place,who i assumed to be murad went to their place at the back of the shop. Clearly, angered to have his conviction taken away.

"So? What's your story girl?" He asked coming to my side like whatever he just said about me being his meat was not enough to discard any gratefulness. He started walking by the pavement leaving the shop behind and lit a cicaratte. Though his companions were all smoking biddis. i followed instinctively.

He wore a long white dhoti suggesting him being from the village. "Are your from some nearby village?" I asked spiking a conversation, if he could hail a van or something for me, though i dont believe this man but...

"Dont be so certain that i am not going to touch you" he said instead, stopping suddenly which made me stop close to him. "I may touch you" he stated towering me  "now." His features gave away he could do it. "Now?" Now that sounded more like a question. I opened my eyes, hands cold.

His choice might have been different because i saw no hunger in his look and he started walking. Which made me relieved.

I didnt know what to wish for, clearly i was not getting any transport as of now that gives me no where to go. And certainly not leave him because though he threatened he could touch me, but i was not sure if i could be haunted by those boys again if i left him now. And they were clearly interested to undress me.

After a sharp turn from the highway, he entered a muddy road. A village. A village would be more safe now. Women are stronger in some villages. And i certainly can avail help if i needed.

The area was partially lit with some street lights. But thats all. Most of the narrow road had havy bushes on the other side and some huts low lit now that all are asleep cna be seen among some of the bushes. I could feel Crop fields stretched over miles because of the dense air i felt was hitting me.

All this way. He was quite giving out nothing. And i too was trying nothing but i had to wait for the morning.

"how long do we need to reach?" My legs were already paining from all the walking. I heard about the villagers having to walk long to get to hospitals or highways, But never thought about it in person. " Where are we going?"