Chapter 14: (a few reasons) Why Not

After an evening (and night) of texting Midori cat content, Hitoshi's looking forward to maybe running into each other at the café on Friday morning. He doesn't show up this time, so he's able to get a little bit of work done and log the regulars that pop in.

The router logs from the day of the 'mistake' list twelve separate devices. Each night, he compares the logs to the people he's seen coming and going, and uses process of elimination to mark off which devices have connected during his days of surveillance.

He's also done a search for all twelve device IDs to see how often those items are connected. Two are near-daily, and he has matched them to the baristas' phones. Several are listed as being once or twice per week, and a few are at least weekly.

One device listed on that day is odd. It for sure belongs to a regular or a friend of a regular, and has been connected to the network before with recognized credentials. But it has connected only once in the last twelve months. (The logs don't go back any further.)

He strongly suspects that the owner of that device is the person they're looking for.

Which type of person are they trying to find?

Someone who can figure out so much that they have to hide who they are?

Or someone that knows so much that they've turned their knowledge into some kind of game to make money?

Shinsou has already matched four café regulars with the router logs from that day. Midori's laptop didn't show up in the logs the day before, but that doesn't seem too strange. Some devices stay offline until the internet is needed, and working on a writing app to translate doesn't seem like it should need an internet connection.

He takes a sip of his coffee as his thoughts turn to his neighbor.

Midori is a bit of a mystery. Someone passing by on the street might say there's nothing particularly special about the guy, but Hitoshi has been paying close attention for a few days, now.

There's a lot to the short guy living next door.

He's sweet and shy, and so quick to blush.

He's both cautious and a little too trusting, and might be a pushover. (Hitoshi is worried about this - why would someone be cautious of everyone but then give in at the smallest sign of kindness?)

He's so curious, and he seems pretty smart (but there's only so much he can pick up from a few days of interactions).

It feels genuinely nice to just hang around the guy. It's clear from his reactions that he's at least physically interested. Going out on a date in the middle of a surveillance mission isn't exactly approved, but his boss did call this a low priority task, even a 'mini-vacation.'

It's possible the lead won't turn up, and there isn't a whole lot riding on the case's success.

Hitoshi props his chin on his hand and turns his gaze to the lobby.

Going on a date with the cute guy next door is probably just fine.

The only problem is that he's never asked someone out, before.

Like any adult with a computer, he opens a browser and searches for the answer.