𝘅 | 𝗮 𝗻𝗲𝘄 𝘁𝗲𝗿𝗺

Gwen didn't know what she'd been expecting, but the next morning became a terrible start to their first day back

She entered the Great Hall with Hermione, who was still acting a bit stiff, but Gwen knew she'd come around. She'd decided to keep her hair blonde while at school, so as not to draw too much attention to herself. As much as she loved the scarlet - and how well it went with her school robes - she'd rather keep herself on the downlow given the events of the day before.

The four tables were filled with mountains of toast, eggs, bacon and sausages, and when the two girls sat down, they loaded their plates. Hermione propped up her copy of Voyages With Vampires on the milk jug and the two ate in silence, enjoying their food. Harry and Ron joined a short while later, followed by Neville Longbottom. The three of them sat down cheerfully, greeting the girls, and while Gwen matched their energy, Hermione was still a bit cold toward them. Ron caught Gwen's eye and shrugged.

'Mail is due any second,' Neville said; he'd taken the spot next to Gwen. 'Gran's sending me some things I forgot.'

As he'd predicted, hundreds of owls flew overhead seconds later, dropping parcels, newspapers and letters to students all over the Hall. The family owl, Hermes, landed in front of Gwen, an envelope clasped in his beak that was sealed with the Everill crest. Gwen gulped, recognising her father's handwriting on the front, and pocketed the letter, feeding the owl a few scraps of bacon.

Gwen jumped when a grey lump landed in Hermione's jug, spraying them all with milk and feathers.

'Errol,' Ron groaned, pulling the owl from the jug. He stood on the table for less than a second before slumping in front of Ron's plate. Ron suddenly paled.

'Oh, no--'

'It's alright, he's still alive,' said Hermione, prodding the limp owl with her finger, but Gwen suddenly saw what had made Ron lose all the colour from his face.

Clasped in the owl's beak was a damp, red envelope.

Gwen bit her lip as she, Ron and Neville stared at the letter, a pit of fear growing in her stomach.

'Ron, you should open it,' she said timidly.

'What's the matter?' said Harry.

'Open it, Ron,' Neville murmured. The three of them hadn't moved their eyes from the envelope. 'It's worse if you ignore it-- I ignored one from my Gran once... it was horrible.'

Ron was visibly shaking.

'What is it?' Hermione said.

'She's sent me a Howler.'

Harry was looking between their three petrified faces. 'What's a Howler?'

The envelope had begun to smoke at the corners.

'Ron, open it,' Gwen said urgently. 'It will all be over in a few minutes...'

'Go on, Ron,' Neville said gently.