𝘅𝗶𝗶𝗶 | 𝗱𝗲𝘁𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻

Gwen entered the library, and was quickly directed by Madam Pince to the stack of books that needed reshelving

Gwen entered the library, and was quickly directed by Madam Pince to the stack of books that needed reshelving. There must have been a couple hundred, but, trying not to let it get her down, Gwen started on her work.

  It didn't take her as long as she thought it would. She was finished within two hours, and made her way back to the common room, yawning. She was disappointed about her first Quidditch training, but was sure that the next one would be better. It also didn't help that Hagrid's mention of Lucius Malfoy had scared her; she knew that if he showed up, he'd have her expelled, and given how she'd arrived at school, there would be no hope for any other course of action.

  She settled into bed that evening, earlier than the rest of her dormmates, and, as was habit now, drew the curtains around her bed, cast a silencing charm and started writing to Tom.

  There was something different in his tone tonight. He'd told her all about the history of Hogwarts, and how each founder had something either hidden in the school or an object sacred to them. He'd told her about the sword of Gryffindor, Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem, the Hufflepuff goblet and Salazar Slytherin's locket.

  Usually, Tom was rather calm with her, answering all her questions and remaining patient. However, tonight, there was a certain urgency in his words.

  I have not been entirely honest with you, he wrote when Gwen had finished explaining what had happened on the Quidditch pitch.

What do you mean? she said.

  This Draco Malfoy, he wrote, may be a potential threat.

  No elaboration. Gwen repeated her previous message.

  There is something else that Salazar Slytherin left in the castle. Something that would purge the school of muggle borns.

  Gwen's heart raced.

  Why would he do that? What is it?

  A terrible monster.

  Ten or twenty different questions filled Gwen's mind at once: what kind of monster? What did Slytherin leave in the school? Were muggle borns in danger? What did Malfoy have to do with it?

  As if reading her mind, Tom wrote, I cannot explain. But I can show you what I mean.

  Gwen held her breath. She seemed to be waiting for ages, staring at the blank pages of the diary, not daring to breathe.

  Then--

  It felt as if she were falling, plummeting deep into an abyss. She screamed but no sound came, she flailed around but there was nothing around her. Her stomach was churning, she was going to be sick--

  She was on a bathroom floor.

  She scrambled backwards, banging her head on a sink, then scuttled away again. She didn't know how she'd got there. She didn't even know which bathroom she was in.