𝘅𝗶𝘅 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝘂𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗰𝗹𝘂𝗯

As December rolled around, McGonagall came round with her sign-up sheet for who would be staying at Hogwarts over Christmas

As December rolled around, McGonagall came round with her sign-up sheet for who would be staying at Hogwarts over Christmas. Gwen, Harry, Ron and Hermione all signed up, and were struck by suspicion when they found out that Malfoy was staying too. Christmas was the perfect time to worm a confession out of Malfoy with the potion.

A few days before the end of term, Gwen, Harry, Ron and Hermione were headed to the Great Hall for breakfast when they noticed a group of students gathered around a newly posted sheet of parchment on the notice board. Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnigan beckoned them over excitedly.

'They're starting a duelling club,' said Seamus, grinning. 'First meeting tonight. I wouldn't mind duelling lessons-- could come in handy given, you know...'

Ron rolled his eyes. 'What, you think Slytherin's monster can duel?' But even he was intrigued.

At dinner, the four of them discussed going. So, come 8 O'Clock, the four of them made their way back to the Great Hall for the first meeting.

The four long tables had vanished and the floating candles were ablaze but much higher up. The enchanted ceiling reflected the night sky outside and a golden stage had been put up alongside one wall. It seemed that almost the whole school was packed inside.

'I wonder who will be teaching us,' said Hermione eagerly as they moved through the hall.

'I heard Flitwick was a duelling champion,' Gwen said. 'I hope it's him.'

Harry nodded. 'I just hope it's not--' he cut himself off with a groan. Gilderoy Lockhart had flourished onto the stage, robes of deep plum swirling in his wake, with none other than Professor Snape, who was adorning his usual black.

Gwen rolled her eyes. 'This couldn't get any worse.'

'Gather round!' Lockhart announced, waving his arms at the crowd of students. 'Gather round, everyone! Can you all see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent!' He cleared his throat dramatically. 'Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little duelling club to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have had to on many occasions-- see my full list of published works for full details.'

He flashed a sickening smile. Gwen and Harry shared an apprehensive look.

Lockhart went on; 'Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape. He tells me he knows a tiny little bit about duelling himself and has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry — you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear!'

'Wouldn't it be good if they finished each other off?' Ron muttered. Gwen tried to hold back her laugh.

Snape's upper lip was curling; Lockhart was still beaming. Gwen couldn't imagine how she'd feel if Snape was looking at her like that; she'd be running in the opposite direction.