𝘅𝘅 | 𝗮𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗮𝗰𝗸

That night, Gwen found herself drawn to the leatherbound diary in the drawer next to her bed

That night, Gwen found herself drawn to the leatherbound diary in the drawer next to her bed. She drew the curtains around the four posts, cast the silencing charm, and opened the diary.

Tom, can I ask you something?

Her ink disappeared. Tom's reply was instant. Of course.

Gwen pondered how she'd word her question. She decided to just come straight out with it. Tom, who is the Heir of Slytherin?

Why do you ask?

Gwen held her breath. Harry's a Parselmouth. My friend Harry, I told you about him. He's a Parselmouth, and so was Slytherin.

Tom replied: I do not know, Gwen.

But you were here when the Chamber was last opened. You know more than any of us.

The reply that came back was unexpected.

Fifty years ago, I was at Hogwarts. The Heir of Slytherin opened the Chamber of Secrets, and, as you know, a girl was murdered. Due to the shame, the Headmaster covered up the murder as a tragic accident, the monster was left in the Chamber and the Heir was expelled but never reprimanded. That is all I can tell you.

The colour drained from Gwen's face. She swallowed thickly, gripped her quill until her knuckles went white.

Tom...

He waited for her to continue writing.

Is the Heir at Hogwarts now?

One second. Two. An owl hooted outside.

Yes.

Gwen slammed the diary shut. She clenched her jaw, fighting back the burning behind her eyes. She pulled the covers over her body, clutching the diary close to her chest. She wanted to forget about the Chamber and the Heir and the monster within the walls. Her heart was racing in her chest and by now, the colour had drained from her hair to that sickly grey she was so used to seeing every time she looked in the mirror.

Her body trembled.

Then, that calm, gentle, soothing male voice, the one she was terrifying used to. The one that looked after her and caused her so much fear.

Goodnight, Gwen. All is well.

• • •

The next morning, Gwen had no memory of her conversation with Tom the night before. Throughout the night, a heavy snowfall had begun and their first class, Herbology, had been cancelled. When Gwen was brushing her teeth that morning, she couldn't figure out why her hair was grey. When she changed it back, the sickly tone stuck and only the ends were blonde. She tried to ignore it, and after breakfast, she joined Harry, Ron and Hermione in the common room.