Fire With Water

As I concentrated on the cup before me, I brought my hand forward to increase the effect. The water inside the cup started to boil. Little droplets spat out angrily, steam rose from the cup into the air. I lowered my hand and the once boiling water cooled down. My friend sat across me crossed legged, eyes filled eyes facination.
She looked up at me. "Go for it" she smiled.
I raised my hand and concentrated on the rubber sole of her shoe. The sole started smoking and turned red with the heat. She raised her hand and in a quick motion collected water molecules from the air and cooled her shoe with hiss. We were both just as powerful, but I on the other hand couldn't handle my powers well while under pressure.

"I know your worried, but we are gonna do fine" she said trying to comfort me.

"How can I not worry? The Witch Trials are tomorrow. What if I make a fool out of myself like last time?"

"You need to relax, the trials are by groups. And the only other fire major in our group is Jenna" she said.

"Yeah, but Jenna can throw fire balls" I insisted.

"Yeah, but you can burst someone into flames just by touching the floor"

"Fair enough" I shrugged and picked up the cup from before.

"We need to work on our combat skills, I was thinking maybe you could burn someone by touching them or something" she said her mind racing with ideas.

I walked over to her and held two fingers up, I pressed them down on her arm and felt the hiss of her skin coming in contact with my burning fingers.

"Bloody fucking hell!" She screamed. "What the fuck?!"

"You suggested it" I said laughing.
I felt her move her hand and in a second I was soaking in water. "Was that really nessesary?"

"I don't know, you tell me" she was the one laughing now.
She grabbed the cup from my hand and headed to the kitchen.

We are witches, but not the kind that appear in movies or in books. We connect with an element: fire, ice, water, wind, and earth. You do not choose your element, you are gifted with it as you are born. I connected with fire. Lizbeth, my friend, connected with water. We have 3 other friends, Fabiola an ice major, Ayah a wind major, and Brian an earth major. Once a hear The Witch Trials are held, its a combat where they divide us into pairs and make us fight against "the opposing pairs". The winners get ascended a full level ahead of the others, which means that you will learn to master your powers faster in private lessons.

Lizbeth came back with a small pile of hay.

"OK now try to light a fire" she gestured to the hay.

"Are you serious? That's way too easy, what's the catch?" I asked in disbelief.

"The catch is you have to make it burn while wet" moved her hand across the air and a small amount of water came down on top of the pile.

"That'll take too much time..." I whined.

"Just try, don't be a slut"

"Oh! Its on bitch!" I concentrated on the pile and soon enough it bursted alive with its flames licking into the air.

"Got yah" she giggled.

"Yeah but I wasn't the one standing on my ass ,not doing a single thing was I?"

"Tou-chey" she laughed putting the fire out.

"What if I try making a fire ball?" I smirked.

"You wouldn't" she dared.

"I can try" I held my hand out. Sparks started forming, and a single flame floated freely in the middle.

"That's so cool..." She said awed.

"I have never been able to do that" I said equally as wordless.

"Well you sure can now..."