In Grief

My eye caught a glimpse of movement- Who's there?- I asked to the surrounding darkness- Reveal yourself!

I suddenly couldn't hear any screams or growls. All I heard was sobbing.

I walked towards the sound until I found Lizbeth with her knees to her chest, tear streaked.

-He got her...- she let out a long sob and looked up at me- He took her; and I couldn't do anything about it!- She said through gritted teeth.

-Who got her?- I tried to say this calmly. I kneeled down next to her and put my arm around her.

-Some guy... But he transformed.... Into some kind of animal- she extended her arm to show me an open gash with blood oozing out.

-Brian told me the same thing...- I said in disbelief. I held her arm and examined the wound more closely- We need to get you help

-I couldn't stop her!- She let her head fall on her hands and continad crying.
I'm gonna catch the guy who did this. I'm gonna make him pay, and I'm going to get my friend back. But what if he killed her? What if its too late for Ayah?

-Paige! Lizbeth! Ayah! Are you in here? The sapiens are gone! We can go now! Can you hear me?- Brian's voice rang through the cave.

Lizbeth and I looked at each other with on one of these "What are we going to do now?" looks.

And the truth is, I think we both knew we didn't have a clue.