The Voices Inside My Head

This water major guy was making rain pour on me like it was the end of times. And he was only making it rain on me. I couldn't see anything more than 2 feet in front of me. The only thing I could do was touch the ground and hope my element would find its target. I knealed down, and let my hand touch the ground. My clothes were all muddy form the rain. I concentrated and imagined my target engulfed in flames.

Seconds later the rain stopped, and I could see a desperate figure trying to put himself out. Don't mess with a fire Luca, haven't they ever taught you that at home? Where did that thought come from? You're going crazy, that's why. What the fuck, who is this? The voice didn't answer, maybe I truly was going crazy. I heard a shout form behind me. When I turned around Brian was stuck in a block of ice, obviously fighting an ice. She was further ahead, struggling as dry vines wrapped around her; leaving her with no where to go. Dry vines. A voice whispered in my head, and then something clicked in my brain. Dry vines; our plan. I hurried over to the girl and with a quick movement of my hands, set her afire. Brian was still hostage to the block of ice so I ran over to him and melted it.

He sighed in relief. "Thank you, I was starting to get cold". He smiled and took my hand. "We better get outta here before someone else tries to beat us" he signaled to a couple of majors fighting no far from us. I nodded and we set of running.

We ran until the only sound was the crunching of leaves under our feet. Exhaustion came over me; I sat down resting my head on a tree.

"Thanks for the save earlier" he said blushing.

"It was no problem, that ice's a real bitch" he laughed and sat down next to me. The foliage around us was very abundant. The council tried hard to make the arena as realistic as possible. Years ago our ancestors had a disagreement over which element was more powerful, so they fought in an arena like this one. And in the end, they declared a winner. To this day the council never has revealed the true winner; rumor says that the earths won, others say the fires won. Either way, they kept the tradition going; changing little details so the trials were as safe as possible. Yeah, huge lie.

Brian looked at me with questioning eyes; I saw him looking and couldn't help blushing. His gaze went down to my lips and met mine once more. He started leaning in and soon enough his lips met mine in a fierce kiss. His hands wrapped around my waist, and I brushed his cheek with my hand; he slightly winced but continued. When I realized what was happening I pushed him off.

His lips had bleeding wounds, burns. Where I had brushed my hand reddened skin stood. I gasped in horror.

"What's wrong? Weren't you enjoying it?" he asked.

"I was hurting you..." I said barely a whisper.

"So? I can't even feel it" he held his hand to his wound. "This is nothing compared with my feelings for you"

I was shocked. How can a boy love a girl that burns then when they kiss? That's because he doesn't. I loved Brian; we had been secretly together for almost a year. It was odd at first since we've been friends since we were ten years old, but soon enough we truly "connected". How can I be so sure he actually loves me? He doesn't; he never did. He feels sorry for you, that's all. Why the hell does this voice appear when I needn't it most?

"Paige, listen. You are the most amazing girl I have ever met. I wouldn't want to leave you for anything in the world. Id risk my life for you, although frankly you'd save my ass first. If you don't feel right seeing me with slight wounds, then we don't have to make out" he grabbed both my hands in his. "That's how much I want to be with you" he was breathing hard after he finished speaking.

Tears formed in my eyes. "Why would you want to be with someone wh- who... hurts you?"

"Because I love you" he said simply. That's all I needed to hear; maybe we weren't meant to be together. Maybe we just didn't match. But if that feeling inside me and him meant that we loved each other, then I didn't mind focusing on not hurting him.

I hugged him and whispered into his ear. "I love you too".

"I knew my words would be too much for you" he joked.

I held out my hand with a threatening flame. "What did you say?"

"Nothing, just that I love you" he said, quickly eyeing the flame.