Reality Check

It was Tuesday morning. A week since I found out what Brian...did. Lizbeth was the only one that hadn't noticed anything, and thankfully no one was planning on it. I actually think Brian took it to the next level with her about three days ago while the Millers, Anthony and I went to the market and they stayed to "clean up". But for the first time I didn't care, I was happy for her. Too bad it had to be him though, he definitely wasn't the guy I thought he was. As for Anthony, we talked it out. I explained everything to him and he completely understood. He even apologized for kissing me back, what a guy. Well more of a guy than Brian anyways.

We were in the kitchen while Ms. Miller was making pancakes and Mr. Miller read the newspaper.

"Ms. Miller it's been very pleasant staying with you for the past weeks. But I'm afraid we must hit the road again." I said putting down my glass of orange juice.

"Are you sure dear? You could stay as long as you want. You and your friends are no trouble."

"Yes we need to leave if we want to find our friend"

"When are you leaving then?"

"Today around noon" Mr. Miller put down his newspaper and eyed me.

"And you gonna go without any supplies Flamy?" Flamy was the nickname he had given me due to the fact I flamed his hammock when Lizbeth scared me. I've told her a million times to never scare me while I'm reading, if anything it's her fault.

"Were stopping by the market before leaving town" Lizbeth answered before I could. "Sorry..." she said realizing the question wasn't for her.

***

"How much further...?" Anthony whined. We had been walking for about an hour and still hadn't stopped for a rest.

"Just a few more miles" Brian answered pointing ahead.

The sun was beaming down on us and my shirt clung to my skin. That plus the weight of the back pack was essential killing me.

"Lizbeth could you at least be useful and make it pour a little" I said. She was red and panting.

"Sure" she said between breaths.

Seconds' later rain fell on top of all of us. It soaked my clothes and my hair. Drenching me in a cool in a cool bliss that, in part, made me forget all the problems that were ahead.

"You do not know how good this feels" I paused. "And how lucky we are that everything is in watertight backpacks"

"I think about everything don't I?" she said with a chuckle.

Brian stopped walking and turned around.

"I don't know about you guys but I'd prefer not to freeze to death when the night comes. So unless you want to be wet by nightfall, I suggest you stop" he looked at Lizbeth sternly.

"Jeez, you need to chill. I can make a fire at nightfall so we don't get cold"

Lizbeth stepped in.

"Yeah, you need to chill. You've been really uptight lately" she said.

She had hit the bullseye, his nostrils flared and he turned red with anger.

"Really? Is that so? Why don't you ask Paige here to explain why that is?!" Lizbeth looked at me with questioning eyes.

"Paige?" crap what am I going to say? It's not my job, he's the one that kissed her. Right? I don't have to explain. If anything he does.

"This is really a conversation for another time..." I shrugged.