Chapter 12

Mysterio was flying around some kind of a storm Elemental, firing lasers at it.

"You took everything from me! This is for my family!" he said.

Several people of his crew admire or inspect the scene, while William was looking on his phone.

"Pause. Pause?" Beck said standing in the middle of the room, looking suspiciously like a movie studio and wearing a motion capture outfit.

"Sorry." William said looking up and paused the illusion.

"Yeah, uh, can you just fast-forward to the end?"

"Yeah. Standby." William said and the visual flashed forward to the climax.

"Right. Fly, fly, fly... Zap, zap, zap... Pause." Beck mumbled to himself and the Elemental froze again. "I'm not in love with this choreography, but it'll do. Kill image." he said and the illusion disappeared. "Decloak drones."

Where the Elemental used to be, several drones appeared out of thin air when their cloaking devices were deactivated.

"Right, weapons?" Beck said.

"You wanna weaponize them?" William asked.

"Yup."

"Weapons only. Standby." William said and several drones flew towards some prop pillars in the lot, firing at them as they flew by. "Nice."

"Stop. Something... I don't know what it is. It's something... Just dou... You know what? Double the damage, and then run it again."

"You want me to double it up?"

"Yeah."

"Alright. Cover your ears." Willam said and the image of the Elemental appeared again.

Through the underlying drones, it seemed like he punched the pillars to pieces. Shortly thereafter, the holographic Mysterio fired a laser at it and defeated it.

"That's good! That's good." Beck said and William gave two thumbs up. "We're on schedule?"

"Oh, yeah. Uploading software hack to E.D.I.T.H. network, where drones will be able to create an event big enough to cover an entire city."

"Right, well done. Make sure every drone is weapons hot. We need maximum damage."

"That's gonna cause a lot of casualties." Guterman said.

"Oh, yeah. More casualties, more coverage. I gotta cut through the static. London is a beautiful city and it will suffer, but they can rebuild. If I'm gonna be the next Iron Man, I need to save the world from an Avengers-level threat. But, when its new savior descends..." Beck said and the holographic projection of Mysterio flew down and incapsulated him like a second skin. "...all those casualties will be forgotten." he said in a slightly altered and amplified.

Then Mysterio's helmet disappeared and Beck directed his attention to Janice, who was working on the real Mysterio suit.

"Janice, you'll be in position with a quick change armor, for the victory lap?" Beck said.

"Of course. Do you want to try..." Janice said.

"No, no. That's..." he said and the footage becomes slightly distorting around his waving upper arm. "What's going on with my hand? Why is that happening?"

"Oh, one of the drones that came back from the plaza was missing a projector. It's fine." William said.

"Wait, and you're... You're telling me this, now?"

"It's one drone. The image will be perfect, I promise."

"That projector is evidence. It's going to tell people what we're doing and how we're doing it. I am trying to fool seven billion people here, including Nick Fury, who happens to be the most paranoid and most dangerous person on the planet." Beck said seeming to get more unhinged as he went on. "And if he catches on before I've killed him, then he will put a bullet in my head. And nobody wants a bullet in their head! Right?" he said and two drones flew towards Guterman and Victoria. "Right?!" he asked and two others flew towards William, aiming at his forehead. "William, can you look at me?" he said and did. "Pull up E.D.I.T.H.."

"Hello, Quentin." EDITH said.

"Yeah. Hi, honey. I need a level 5 search full resource protocol for this device." he said and a map was projected and steadily magnified.

"Magnifying..."

"There. Search everything going in and out of that building."

"Located."

Through video footage, Harley got the projector, took it to the bridge and showed it to Peter.

"Shit." he said and looked back at William, furious. "You know William, one day, after I've had to kill Peter Parker because of this... I hope you remember, that his blood is on your hands!" he said and walked out.

At Peter, Ned and Harley's hotel room, Peter frantically closed the window curtains.

"I can't believe Beck got the glasses!" Peter said. "He's probably spying on me right now or sending a drone to come and kill me." he said. I have to call Fury and tell him that Beck's a fraud, but... I think he tapped my phone."

"What are you gonna do?" Harley asked.

"I need my suit and I have to go to Berlin and talk to Fury in person." Peter said and took his shirt off in front of Harley, then stopped to stare at him."

After a few awkward seconds, Peter stripped down to his underwear and started putting on the stealth suit. Then Ned came standing in the doorway while Peter zipped up the Stealth Suit then he lifted up the eye visors.

"Ah! Ned, perfect!" Peter said. "Look, Mysterio is a fraud."

"But he- But he saved me and Betty's lives..." Ned said.

"No, he's been faking the whole thing with illusion tech." Harley said.

"Yeah, he's using these, like, hologram projectors." Peter said.

"Whoa! That's... crazy!" Ned said.

"Yeah." Harley said.

"So, you guys were working the case together?"

"Yeah."

"Gotta go." Peter said and started moving out, pulling open the window curtains.

"Wait! Ah, wait, wait, wait! The projector. You're gonna need this." Harley said and threw Peter the projector, which he caught.

With that, Peter jumped out the window and Harley stared after him.

"Please be safe." he whispered.

'And please don't let us lose the baby.' he thought.