19

Ever since I got back to India, my life had become a reality game. I get one step closer to Safa and something pushes me back by two. It didn’t make me happy but atleast it kept my life interesting. Not the way I would had liked it though.

Having goals was supposed to make our life easy but mine didn’t. I wanted to have a successful career but it wasn’t going to start for another week. Neither was I able to achieve a successful relationship. Both were so near and yet felt so far.

“I’m so full, any sudden movements can make me throw up!”, Daniyal said as he slowly laid on his bed.

“I’m surprised you are saying that! I though you ate only three people’s worth of food.”

“Oh come on bhai. You know how I get hungry when stressed.”

“What stress do you have?”

“Ayaan!”

“What does he have anything to do with you!”

“Nothing yet. But looks like he is here to ruin all our lives.” He looked at me as I didn’t know how to respond to that and he continued, “so what are you going to do?”

“Well Marwa must be convincing Safa right now to file for divorce.”

“And if she doesn’t agree?”

“She will agree. She has to.”

“How are you so sure?”

“She won’t be doing this to me again.”

“So she’s going to break a relationship to start a new one.” Daniyal raised his eyebrows and turned around to sleep.

His statement raised doubts. But I decided to stay positive. I trusted my love for her.

The first day of our trip turned out to be a bummer but for the next two days, my goal was to get closer to Safa and convince her to file for a divorce. If I tried too hard, I would look desperate and if I didn’t, I would lose her yet sgain. Considering my luck, the later looked likely to happen. So I had to be desperate, well she didn’t need to know that but ‘desperate’ it was.

I didn’t remember trekking to be a part of the trip but Marwa was very excited about it and like she said, she was making the most of the trip. I was starting to question my physical abilities as I was panting while the other three had hardly dropped a sweat.

Looking at me struggle far behind, Daniyal screamed, “aur khao biryani aur gulab jamun (eat more biryani and gulab jamun).”

They all laughed but strangely, I didn’t find it funny. The only one to show a hint of sympathy for my state was my Safa and slowed down for me to catch up.

“What happened? Are you tired?”, I asked as I caught up to her.

“Shouldn’t I be asking that?”

“No no. I’m not at all tired. I’m just taking it slow. We have a long way to go right”, I said and pulled out my water bottle as my throat started to dry up. She tried really hard to not laugh but her smile gave it away.

“Of couse. Actually I’m getting a little tired, can we please take a break for 5 minutes?”

I instantly replied, “of couse. You can take some rest on the rock over there.”

She nodded and asked Marwa to continue.

“So this is your first time trekking?” She asked.

“Actually yes. It looked so easy but…”

“But?”

“But it looks like it’s taking a toll on you”, I lied. “Is this your first time too?”