(xvii) you're my good old-fashioned lover, lover boy

Rantaro is waiting for you at the front of his house, and you wiggle out of your jacket and toss it to him before starting towards school. He laughs as it smacks him in the face, then follows behind you — though that's quite unusual for him, he usually stands right by your side. Then again, you suppose a lot has changed recently. You smile involuntarily as your thoughts drift towards Akane...Akane, your Akane...what an angel she was.

It was rare that people liked you, and even rarer still that you liked people. It was almost laughable how instantaneously you clicked with Akane — it felt like you'd already spent forever with her.

I̠̫͈̲̞̝͛̎̚͡ṯ̪̳͓̘̱̗̅͂͑͑͜ ̷̺͕̜ͯ́ͬw̦̟͒ͣ͢ḁ̙͇̮͍̎́ṡ̼͚̹ͥ͗͞ ͨ̄͏͚̳aͬ̾̐҉̤̞͕ḽ͔̫̝͙̦̙̅͢m̢̗͎̜̼̱̾̃̍̌ở̮̝̟̖̇s̵͍̩̯͉̠ͦ̃͂ͥt̛͚̤̹͓͒ͥ͌ ̴̺̪̫̦̺͖ͦ͌ͣ̎l̫̬͕̭̻ͭ̈͡i͓̖͈͍͕̗͔̒́k͇̜ͧ̒ͣ́ȇ̛͖̼͚̼̲ ͕̜̙͐̅͆͒͝y̧̭̰̥̲̞̦͉ͥo̴̩̩̬̠̜̤̊̓̍ṳ̶̣̥͎ͣ�̵̼̮͓̦̞ͥ̀�ͥ͒̃͗͏͍̩̥͔͕̺̯�͖͈̠̗͆̒͑͝d̳̰̜̰̤̫͎̦ͫ̀ ̧̘͚̺̠̐͗̽̾d̮͍͚̗̩̲͊͡ǫ̤̫̪͔̈́̆ͫ̑n̰̺̽͌̓͢ẽ̴͕̻͚̳͇ ̥͎͇͈̭̭͖̓̊͞t̛̫̰͖͎̯͊̾ͪh̖͇̲̫̪̗̼̭͒͞ȉ̬̪̺̝̙̼̼ͯ̋ͯ́s̻̮̺͑̎̈́͝ ̛̣͕̰̬̳̹͊̑b̶͖̝̰̯͚̹͙̔ě̼̼̩̔͢f̖͍̪͚̭͛̈ͦ͌͝o̧̪̯̟̠̝͈̽̅͒ͅȓ̦̭͉̯̈́̂̂̀e͇͓̰̅͊̆́.͕̭̌͝

"— right?" Rantaro said, tilting his head back as he chortled. "I can't believe he did that! And in class, too—! Man, these kids are something else, y'know?"

You nod, simply pretending to listen to him talk. "I don't get it, though. Why would he...do that?"

"...you weren't listening, were you."

"I was."

"No, you weren't!"

"I was indeed listening."

Rantaro snickers. "Alright, sureeeee...what was I talking about, then?"

You balk, wracking your brain for any cues but come up blank. You sigh. "...I suppose I may have deigned it too boring to store it away."

"Oh, please—!" Rantaro says, rolling his eyes. "You were just distracted, weren't you? What was it this time, some differential equation?"

You consider telling him what it was— but realise that god, that's embarrassing, and simply shrug instead.

Rantaro frowns briefly, pouting at you. Dramatically huffing as he places his hands on his hips, he tosses his head to the side, looking away from you. Childish sulking.

"Oh, woe is me!" Rantaro says, clutching at his shirt. "My beloved, my darling, my love— she will talk to me no more!"

You fix him with an incredulous look. "...who, now?"

"Ah— you, my angel, of course!"

"I will literally end you."

"That's the (Y/N) we all know and love...!"

You simply sigh and roll your eyes. Dramatic, but endearing as always. Something about this boy's theatrics will always be special to you— I suppose that's what childhood friends mean, right? Together and forever. You did pinky promise.

"Hey, hey~" Rantaro sings, skipping ahead. "You still owe me that coffee date! Pinky promise on it, pleaaaaaase?"

"Wha— You don't need to make me do such ridiculous things...!" You say, rolling your eyes. "I keep my promises, of course. I told you we would reschedule, and we did. We will hang out today after school, alright? So stop being a baby about it..."

You roll your eyes and huff playfully, and Rantaro giggles at your antics, seemingly used to your antics. The things this man puts up with...but he holds out his pinky to you, and you sigh, but wrap yours around it.

"Alright, alright...I pinky promise to hang out with you after school."

"It's a date, then!" Rantaro chirrups. "Don't you dare leave me hanging this time, alrighty~? I'll be sooooooo inconsolable, y'know!"

You sigh. He's such a drama queen. You didn't intend to break your promise, of course, but even if you did...nobody would die if you didn't hang out with him for one day. That would be ridiculous.