20

Damien's POV:

I spent the entire day trying to come up with some sort of excuse as to why I was at her fathers home while juggling the work that shone bright at my screen.

My trip to New York was unexpected and had cost me valuable time to say the least.

My eyes scanned my laptop screen trying to type at least a few paragraphs before I returned home but it was absolutely useless.

I would catch myself glimpsing at her wooden locks as she concentrated on her work.

How her hands swiftly moved across the keyboard wishing they were somewhere else. How her only focus was her screen dreaming it was me that was in-front of her.

I needed to open her up. To tell me what happened all those years ago, why she would leave me with nothing but a note on a swing and a swollen heart.

Saturday.

Saturday I would ask her out. I would ask her one last time where she was all those years, ask her where she stayed, where she worked, I would ask her why.

Before I make this final decision.

The decision to let her go and marry Elizabeth.

This was the only chance I had left and if I messed this up there was no going back.

After this my only focus would be work And would once and for all get rid of everything and anything to do with her.

The sound of knocking appeared "come in". I yelled at the visitor.

Inside stepped Gabriel with a file that probably needed my approval.

"What were you and Miss Rodriguez discussing" I sad cornering him with a questioned.

Gabriel slowly turned his head to face my direction "excuse me sir?"

I shook my head "it doesn't matter, you can leave"

He hesitantly moved his body giving me one last glance before leaving my office.

My head wasn't thinking straight and there was one thing I needed and that was rest.

*******

Saturday couldn't have come sooner.

My hands tightly gripped on the bouquet of flowers I was holding whilst the driver drove me to her home.

I had a full week to think of what I would say when I arrived. What I would say when she opened the door.

I would simply hand her the flowers and ask if she wanted to go for a walk maybe even dinner if she was up for it.

Taking in the millionth breath I steadied myself for what was about to happen.

Suddenly my phone rang.

Removing it from my pocket, I found my fathers name light up "hello, father".

"Where are you?" He immediately asked. "I need you in the office".

I rolled my eyes. Of course he would need me now "something important has come up unfortunately it would need to wait until tomorrow." I replied.

The other line felt silent for a moment "I need you here now"

"It can wait until tomorrow"

"I said-" and with that I turned off my phone having had enough of his grating voice. There was no time for my father ever in my life.

My body seemed to slouch for a moment only for it to realise we were nearing her fathers house.

I can do this. Speaking to myself.

Finally the driver stopped and I was more than ready to get out of there.

Opening the door I stepped out taking my time
.with each step it felt like a million years has been taken from my life.

I could hear the sound of screaming children and music playing as I got closer.

On the door was a sigh THE PARTY IS AT THE BACK.

Party? My face scrunched reading those words.

As instructed I made my way to the back with the bouquet glued to my hands.

Opening the fence, I found myself surrounded by little children running around chasing each other.

In one corner there were adults huddled together talking amongst themselves watching the chaos in front of them.

My brows involuntarily furrowed walking closer and closer towards the atmosphere.

Why are there so many children.

As I stepped closer inside I spotted a familiar face amongst the crowed of parents and at that moment I could feel an overwhelming amount of anger boil at the pit of my stomach.

Gabriel's  eyes found mine in an instant and instantly grew in shock.

My feet stomped towards him only to be interrupted by a small figure crash into my leg.

"Ow" the little voice mumbled rubbing her hands on her forehead.

I looked down at the small creature only to find  my eyes staring back at me.

What. The. Fuck.

Her eyes were just like mine. The same grey that I looked at every morning we're looking directly at mine whilst her messy brown hair sat atop her head...

Her small nose crumpled whilst she rubbed her head in pain. "Sorry" her small voice spoke.

My body had frozen still at the sight of her, I couldn't fathom what I was seeing how her expressions mimicked my own.

My mouth couldn't quite move when I wanted to speak but before I got the chance to say something the little girl screamed running the other direction.

There stood Athena smiling as the child ran wrapping her body around her leg.

She picked up the girl and began kissing her face whilst she squirmed in her arms trying to be free from her grip.

Finally she placed her down and as soon as her feet touched the ground she sped off following the other children.

I just stood there like a fool as I watched her head find the intruder in her fathers garden.

How her face no longer looked amused but now looked in horror from the sight of me standing where I was.

That's when I knew I had answered all those questioned I wanted to ask.

That's when I finally knew her secret.