Chapter 2: A Convening

I didn't mention this last time, but this book is functionally an equivalent of a "summer blockbuster" for me. It's its own story, instead of a trilogy, with one bombastic plot (so to speak). Here's hoping it delivers. Chapter 2 time!

Chapter 2

A Convening

"Rei! Rei! Say something!" Akari's calls for her brother did little good, both for him and those around them. Laventon nearly dropped the makeshift stretcher, opting for placing it down as he clasped his own wounds. She barely got a good look at them before someone came over and gingerly moved her out of the way.

"He's burning up. We need to get the fever down," the woman now kneeling at his side said. She brushed her pink hair back, and Akari felt just the slightest twinge of relief that the Medical Corps' Pesselle was on the case. Not that she was alone, numerous others from the Corps coming out with a collection of herbs and other medicines. "A controlled environment. Get them to the Galaxy Headquarters, now."

"Captain Pesselle, do we even have enough space...?"

"We'll make enough space!" Her snap reverberated down main street, causing many of the citizens that were staring in shock to press themselves against the sides of the buildings. Laventon grunted.

"I'll clear some books from my office. You can use the space-ungh!"

"Professor, you're wounded as well. It's a miracle you're not unconscious," a Corps member said, checking the dried blood on his arm. The red had already stained the coat. Akari stepped back, almost tripping over another stretcher while Rei's was lifted. Cyndaquil and Oshawott were likewise dislodged from Decidueye's, the two falling towards her. She nearly backed into Laventon, who had a balm placed on his wound, one that Pesselle came to check.

"Were you hurt by the same thing as they were?" she asked. It was a credit to her profession that she showed no worry, and continued on with treatment as needed.

"No, just by a Scyther. I'm sorry, Akari, I couldn't-"

"Then the balm should help. As for Rei..." Akari clutched to her partners, feeling like she was about to hold them until they'd pop, though that never happened. Still, she took a step forward, hoping for answers.

"Captain, is my brother going to be all right?" Akari's lips quivered, hardly realizing her words were like a whisper. Indeed, she thought that the captain hadn't quite heard her, with the way she tapped her chin as her brow furrowed in deep concentration. Not having an answer after several laborious seconds had passed, she cleared her throat to try again. "Ca-"

"I don't have an answer for you, Akari," Pesselle finally said, driving the stake through her heart. The woman straightened, tucking her long hair back a little more. "Those kinds of wounds look unlike any I've ever seen. I'm not sure what to do, but I do know I need his fever down, so that's the first step. Professor, if you can report to Captain Cyllene. The more we know of what befell them, the easier it will be to bring them into recovery."

"Of-of course!" Akari turned, hoping to ask Laventon before he rushed off, but was too late. He had already booked it, acting as if his own wounds were nothing. Many other members of the Medical Corps rushed past, carrying the wounded to the great brick building, but Akari remained standing.

What had happened out there? Why was her brother in such a state? She squeezed tighter, Oshawott soon escaping from her grasp, but none of it provided answers. The worry inside her chest increased tenfold, made worse by another glimpse of the great crack in the sky. What was going on?

"Laventon has to know..." She squeezed once more, and then let Cyndaquil go, finding an impetus for her steps to cross down the street. People were perturbed, their whispers speaking of the menace now resting on them, but Akari couldn't pay them any mind. Her curiosity and concern were spiking, and every step closer to the building was another settling of lead inside her stomach over what the answers could be...if there were any answers at all.