Chapter 3: A Fieldland

Now we get to the fun stuff of the story! Time for Chapter 3!

Chapter 3

A Fieldland

Akari didn't know what response she expected. Maybe sudden agreement. Or maybe even a baffled look, confused why she was still there.

She didn't expect complete and utter silence.

Adaman and Irida were the first to react, the clan leaders turning to her. While the latter's eyes lit up at the thought, Adaman was less convinced. His own gaze became lidded, examining her figure with suspicion. She figured it had to have been the leader in him, hardly willing to hand this kind of expedition off to a nobody, and she figured she could respect him for that. No one wanted to put their people's lives in danger.

Kamado was no different, something he made clear with the loudest exhale ever given. That, and a one-word answer. "No."

"Commander!" Akari said, taking concerted steps forward. Her fingers clenched around the plate in her hand, digging into its surface but never breaking it. "You have to let me! If no one else can go in an effort to protect the village, then I should go in their stead."

"You're one of those kinds of people that need protection," Kamado argued back. His sharp eyes found hers as she continued forward, warning her of pursuing this path. She didn't listen.

"That's not true. I've trained with my brother on his off days. Even Captain Zisu can vouch for me. I might not have the same skill level, but I can handle my own, I promise!"

"It's out of the question, Akari." He was certainly resolute, but Akari matched it. She didn't measure up to his height, but what she lacked in that, she made up for in glares. Oshawott and Cyndaquil tried to help, climbing atop her head to send the glares.

"Cyn cyn!"

"Shawa!"

"Pokémon or no, the Fieldlands, all of Hisui, is too dangerous to traverse. Look at your brother. Are you seriously trying to say you can contend with what he could not?" Kamado said. He bent over a little to match her in the eyes, and she saw the cold steel that had made him an effective commander. She threw fire into hers.

"He wasn't sure what he was walking into. I might have some idea," Akari said, her mouth turning thin. Some unoccupied shuffles in the background told her that Adaman was growing impatient with the proceedings, but she was unrelenting. "Commander...my brother is laying downstairs, wounded and delirious. Someone needs to take his place and find out what wounded him. It'll be too late if that danger comes to the village!"

"And I will not endanger more of my men. First, we should study this 'plate' and then-"

"Commander!" Akari repeated once more, her foot slamming on the carpet. It dulled the impact somewhat, but had enough to draw Kamado's attention to her. Behind, she could feel Adaman and Irida sharing looks, silently discussing if they should leave, before making a sharp pivot away from one another. "I...I'm not a member of the Galaxy Team. So, you're not endangering anyone, but I need to know what befell my brother and Decidueye. I need...answers."

Kamado pursed his lips, soon after working them back and forth while his mustache twitched on his face. Cyndaquil and Oshawott fell off her head finally, tumbling into her arms, where the Commander caught sight of them. He groaned under his breath. "My apologies, Akari, but I cannot."

"You can't-"

"The fact of the matter remains that you are not a member of the Galaxy Team, no matter your closeness to your brother, Laventon and even Beni."