Chapter 16: A Vengeance

I don't believe I have much to say here. Please enjoy what's to come. Chapter 16 time!

Chapter 16

A Vengeance

"No..." Akari breathed out, unable to form more than that one-syllable word. She couldn't believe it, and her body shook at the mere thought and sight of it all. "No. No no no..."

"Akari!" Rei was shouting from under her, feeling the tremors running through her body. Her face was drawn with horror, watching as Sneasler clashed with the revving Electrode. Both appeared to be glowering at one another, dripping with anger from every pore. Akari's breaths began to shorten, unable to stop herself from seizing up. "Akari, calm down."

"Rei, it's..." She wanted to hurl, still feeling that tangy taste of blood on her tongue. Sneasler swiped, its claws rocking Electrode backwards, but hardly stopping its speeding rotations. It burst forth with speed again, electricity pouring from its body. It bashed into a ruined column, one that Sneasler leapt up, framing it by the flames.

In the dirt, Akari's fingers dug in, clenching and making grooves in the grass she pulled up. Dewott landed with safety thanks to Decidueye, looking back to her. His eyes, too, were drawn to Sneasler, recognizing the form. He had to have recognized it. Though it wasn't golden, it was the same shadow of that night, looming before them, slicing at the village, destroying all. Akari bit back a scream.

Yet again, she could feel it. The flames that licked her face. The ash that corroded her lungs. The faces of her parents, and the townsfolk, all those who never stood a chance against the Nobles. Had it been for sport? Or some other reason, proving its endless superiority? Did it consider itself so far above they small, pathetic humans that it sought to senselessly slaughter?

"You..." Akari's trembling increased, shaking her entire body. She pushed, getting away from her brother, her eyes unable to leave Sneasler as she descended, slashing across Electrode before leaping away. Electrode's body hissed, steam and electricity pouring out as its swift speed gave it enough rotation to track the opponent that would interrupt it. "It was you..."

"Akari!" Rei shouted, himself flying to his feet. Akari staggered forward, through the inferno around them, never leaving Sneasler's presence. An orb of lightning was fired, one that Sneasler caught and then rammed forward into Electrode, causing an explosion that tore the roots of trees and kept everyone else flat on the ground. Akari still stepped forward. Her breaths were becoming short pants, her fist causing her entire arm to shake.

The longer she looked, the more she saw Sneasler's claws, dripping with blood. The more she felt the claws on her face, its presence a danger and anathema to their entire existence. It had taken everything from her. It and those damn Nobles.

"Dewott, Nig-"

"Akari, stop!" Rei had dashed around in front of her, catching her fist and holding her there. His locket banged against his chest with that awful hum as Sneasler leapt away from another blast of electricity that cut along the mountain wall. Rubble was rained upon Adaman's group, keeping them locked in place. Volo kept himself hidden, Togekiss pulling high for an aerial view on the battle. "Akari, I know what you're thinking, but you need to stop!"

"I won't stop! Rei, it's him! That's the Pokémon, the Noble that took everything from us!" Akari shouted. It was clearer than ever, the sight of Sneasler wrapped in shadow, tearing through houses. She knew it, and she wanted this.

"I know! I know that's what you're thinking, but it's wrong! You can't just go-"

Akari shoved her brother out of the way, clasping tight and looking down to Quilava, hiding near the flames. He caught sight of her, but seemed unable to act, wincing at a blow to Sneasler's body from one of the exploding Voltorb that caused chunks of stone to fly all over. One struck Akari's body, but she didn't stop moving until Rei pulled her back. "Don't, Rei! This thing destroyed our home! Killed our parents! I can see it clear as day!"