Chapter 21: A Cottage

This continues some quieter chapters, but I feel on an emotionally cathartic level, this may be the most important one, in the end. Let's read Chapter 21!

Chapter 21

A Cottage

"So, what's next?"

Akari's question broke the silence after they had pulled away. Still puffy around the eyes, she wiped at them, grateful for the first time that she no longer had hair that would get in the way. When she finished, she looked to Decidueye, trying to discern his own personal intentions with Rei gone. Typhlosion scampered forward to stand on his hindlegs (though it was more like sitting on them), while a light at Akari's waist called Samurott. All three stood strong, united in whatever purpose there was to be united in.

They also looked like they had no clue how to move forward.

"Kooroorai?" Decidueye asked, craning his neck with skill to look at both of his comrades. Typhlosion shrugged, and his eyes nearly closed for the sleep he'd yet to get. Samurott was the only one to pad forward, pointing in an unknown direction.

"Samura."

"If you're saying we should go back to Jubilife, we can't," Akari said, sitting on the bed of leaves and folding her arms. That alone hurt, and when she pressed to the wounds there, she felt herself growing woozy. It was bad enough that the already technicolor sky appeared psychedelic to her and she pitched forward. She was caught by something from behind when she started to.

"Sneasler sneasah," the voice said. It followed by her being picked up with strength and set on her feet. Sneasler then tried to brush off her shoulders of the leaves, but only succeeded in nicking her. "Sneas..."

"I'm fine. It's no worse than the other cuts," she said, putting a hand on it to cover it up. Sneasler looked surprised at the reassurance, and Akari was just as surprised; only a short time ago she knew she would have gone ballistic. Now, however, it was different. There was an implicit understanding there, born from all of her experiences.

Humans and Pokémon, be they Nobles or not, were no different.

They could each become monsters or heroes, given the circumstances. Sneasler, she knew she had to decide, was the latter.

It also meant that Jubilife, the one place they had managed to call home since Volo had destroyed the old one, was quickly turning to a place of monsters. Even here, surrounded in an arbor of peace, she could feel that growing rancor, the pure fear and trepidation that was overtaking all of Hisui. It was reflected in the sky, and echoed in the words of her memories. The longer the people were to steep in it, there was no doubt that it would bring Volo's plan to fruition.

"Not that I've any idea what to do with that," she murmured, trying to take a step forward but pitching into the tree that Decidueye had broken the night before. The Pokémon called for her, but she waved them off. When they calmed, the silence returned, and Akari felt freer than ever, in her own corner where she couldn't be hurt, and couldn't hurt anyone. Like the absence of complicated emotions that Volo so hated. But she knew it couldn't last. "Gotta keep moving."

"Sneas." The simple call of Sneasler, coming from ahead, drew a blink out of Akari. She was moving, beckoning them onward. They could not know to where, but they had to figure it would be to somewhere or someone that could give them answers. Akari looked back to all three of the Pokémon, and they nodded, walking forth to stand at her side. Their choice was made.

"Okay. Lead on." Sneasler nodded and did just that.

The quintet proceeded through the woods, Akari and her group of Pokémon following after the Noble that said not a word. The trees remained as tall as ever, taller than perhaps even the Grandtree, but still, they could not hear the cry of a single Pokémon resting in their lofty branches. More than once, Akari could swear to seeing a shadow flit overhead, but it would disappear as soon as able, lost amidst all the cracks of the rift.