Chapter 22: A Forgiveness

This chapter marks the end of the catharsis. The start of action. We have something important to deal with, but from here forward, there remains no turning back. Chapter 22!

Chapter 22

A Forgiveness

"What do you expect me to do about it?"

Akari knew she probably shouldn't have said that in response. She also knew she should have expected Adaman and Irida's bodies to sag, either with complete disbelief or that same broken sensation that had permeated her since the Icelands. There was no helping it, however. Being told of Kamado and the people that had so violently driven her out, it mattered so little. If the man was so paranoid as to march on the temple, that was his business. She genuinely wanted nothing to do with it at all. There was enough in her brain.

"Sorry," she managed to utter after they'd been stricken with silence a moment too long. "I just don't know why you're telling me. I don't even know how you found me."

"We've been searching the skies for the last few days, ever since..." Irida's eyes trailed off the side along with her words. They didn't want to say it, what had happened in Jubilife, but everyone knew it anyway. Akari scoffed. "Sabi managed to get a bead on you, and it took a bit of time but, seeing this cottage, we figured it was the best place to start."

"Apparently the only place," Cogita said, walking towards them. They were startled by her appearance, so focused on Akari that none of them realized there was someone else there to observe them. "Don't mind me. It's good to see Akari has visitors."

"Maybe. I just don't understand why," Akari admitted. She reached up, scratching at the scar on her cheek, beginning to feel the one on her forehead burning, as well. "Why would you bother looking for me when I-?"

"Isn't it obvious: you're easily the strongest amongst us," Adaman said with a shrug. It was one that earned a glare from Irida, the woman resisting the urge to slap him upside the head. "What? It's true. You think we could waltz up to Kamado on our own and manage to stop him. I doubt any single one of us could even handle Zisu!"

"I'm not all that strong either. I'm sure there are any number of your own Wardens you can-"

"Oh, don't speak in such balderdash," Laventon said. He began to rush forth, hoping to stop Adaman from being any brusquer, only to trip and send the papers he hastily gathered tumbling to the ground. A Poké Ball rolled with it, coming to a stop and not opening. "You're quite strong, Akari! You engaged Lady Lilligant in combat and won!"

"That's not exactly something I'd praise myself for," Akari said, throwing Adaman's hand off her shoulder and beginning to turn away from them all.

"Akari, that rift is an unknown, and making contact with it could spell doom for anyone who goes near it, or even Hisui, itself. Kamado is walking himself and his men into a suicide and you know it!" Irida shouted, but she didn't make the mistake of approaching. "And not just them, the people of Jubilife, as well. People like Beni, and Anvin, and all of those people who are so scared of the rift they'll march right towards it without it even knowing what it does!"

"In case you forgot, Irida, those same people drove me out. You really think I can stop them when they were so taken by fear they wanted to-" Akari's breath stopped short, sucking in an audible gasp. She began to realize that some of her wounds still hurt, but most of all, the pain of exile was what panged her the most. Not even that, but realizing the same looks in their eyes, full of fear just as she was, unwilling to consider the possibility they were wrong. It was a frenzy that could not be stopped, not without tragedy. She shook her head. "I can't help you. I'm not-"