Chapter 29: A Leaving

And so we reach the end. There's much to say, but as usual, I'll save it for the end. Please enjoy the final chapter of Love in the Time of Trepidation.

Chapter 29

A Leaving

"It gives me great pleasure to say you have a clean bill of health, Akari."

The words were like music to Akari's ears, letting a breath of relief pass through the room belonging to the Medical Corps. Applause abounded in the room, though Akari didn't bow to them. She preferred instead to check herself in the mirror. Most of the bruises she had incurred had faded, some a mere light yellow in coloration. The same couldn't be said for the scar on her cheek or forehead, accentuated by her short locks and remaining prominent in spite of the weeks of healing she'd gone through.

Still, it felt good to be told she was free to leave at last.

"Finally. Thanks for all the help, Captain Pesselle."

"Of course, and it's good to have you back."

"All hail Akari!" some of the Security Corps members, those who had been most heavily injured by the Alphas on the mountain, cried out. Akari rolled her eyes at them, shaking her head. She smoothed her clothes, and made to leave the room, only to stop short at the door. In the halls of the team headquarters, people were running about, especially Tao Hua and his Supply Corps, barking orders as they dashed in and out the main door. She turned back.

"All of you rest up, too. Wouldn't do to have our Security Corps laying around in bed for long!" They saluted in agreement. Akari tapped the doorframe once and left.

Someone ran past her, uttering apologies, but she showed no concern. Letting them go with a wave, Akari approached the center door of the building, closed, but with muffled voices emanating from inside it. Hoping to not intrude, she knocked. "Enter."

Akari turned the knob and entered inside, the familiar smell of books coming to her as she stepped into Captain Cyllene's office. The woman stood, as did Laventon, rising from a chair opposite her. He was quick to cross the room over to her, the joyous expression as ever upon his face before he snapped a quick picture of her. "Akari, it's a pleasure to see you up and about again!"

"I share the professor's opinion. How are you?" Cyllene reached over, offering her hand to Akari with a smile. The girl took it, the Poké Balls on her waist rattling with their own joyous statements.

"I'm good. Better than ever and here to make my final report, Captain."

"Oh, that's right, you never technically checked in after any of the battles," Laventon said, tapping his chin with his usual level of curiosity. Once he realized where he was standing, he quickly stiffened and remained still with his own salute. "Carry on, then."

"Well, I'm not exactly sure what to say," Akari admitted, scratching at her scar and chuckling. "I'm sure you've mostly heard what happened at the temple from everyone else by now."

"For the most part we have," Cyllene agreed, nodding her head. She pushed a sheaf of papers towards Akari, the handwriting seeming to contain every account of what had gone down. From Beni's swooping cursive, to Kamado's own rough script, Akari knew the details of what could be called the final major survey of Hisui were contained on those papers. All it left was largely her own, but she placed the papers down. "The appearances of Dialga, Palkia and Giratina... Never, in my time as captain, did I think any in Hisui would pay witness to the appearance of Legendary Pokémon."

"Don't forget Mesprit, Azelf and Uxie!" Laventon chimed in. He became crestfallen in seconds. "Ah, what I wouldn't have given to be there!"

"It was pretty dangerous, professor," Akari said, throwing her hands behind her head and grinning. Her hair had grown out just a little in the weeks since the battle, but she didn't mind it. "It might've been better you weren't there. Even the commander was injured."