Chapter 19: A Poison

For some reason, I imagine this chapter with the slickest animation in the world. Just a funny thought. But let's get serious. Time for Chapter 19.

Chapter 19

A Poison

Akari couldn't breathe. Couldn't think.

The leering visage before her eyes wasn't possible, or she just didn't want it to be, but no matter how much she blinked or looked away, it didn't change the fact that it was true. Standing behind Rei was Volo, the merchant who had always seemed so kind. So understanding.

Worse was the look on his face. It was unsettling, like so much of the situation growing on the ice around them. The corners of his lips were turned up into a smirking grin that stretched his entire face, and his eyes had grown wide, reflecting a burning desire so deep inside; one that Akari had never seen before. Or she hadn't wanted to see it before, the desire smoldering until it became a raging inferno.

Not dropping the grin, Volo backed up, twirling Akari's knife in hand as his teeth, like fangs, bared themselves to the siblings. Rei pitched forward, but Akari couldn't get her body to move. It was still some sick nightmare playing out in front of her, one she absolutely did not want to believe.

"V-Volo!" Rei gasped. In his gasping, it turned to a cough, some blood splatting on the ice. He was looking around, as if trying to find Decidueye, but saw no sign of him. It was just them, cloaked by the blizzard, hidden as Volo gave a small bow. "It was you?!"

"Surely you knew that, Rei. Such a bothersome child," Volo said. His voice had grown lower, taken on a more guttural quality, all of his facial features twisting with it. He still wore the garb of the Ginkgo Guild, but as Akari watched him, she began to see just how ill-fitting the clothing was, and her eyes widened by a fraction. "I knew you'd seen too much. Not that I thought you'd survived. Have to be honest, genuinely thought Sneasler had killed those two cowering in the street. But then I saw you in Jubilife some time later. Hah! What were the odds?!"

"Volo..." Akari squeaked, and the golden-haired man turned his gaze upon her. His grin was so twisted, making his face appear warped and lopsided, a shadow of the man who had been so close to her. Every dish made, every memory shared, they piled in Akari's head. The teases, the laughs, the moments he stared at her in awe. "Ah! Ahhhh!"

"Oh, looks like your sister is having some problems remembering. Not that I wanted her to," Volo admitted, tossing the knife up in the air. It reflected him and all of the particles like ash growing around them. More and more memories assailed Akari, flashing across her head, hurting. "I was perfectly content letting her continue on. But you had to try and ruin all that. Telling her it wasn't a Pokémon. I'm sure you would've even figured it all out. Not that I have a need to hide anymore. Thanks for bringing me here, Akari."

"You bastard!" Blood dripping from his back, Rei ran at Volo, taking a swing, only to miss. With cold indifference, he stuck his leg out, tripping her brother. Rei recovered with a gasp, spinning how own legs around to try and topple Volo. The man backstepped. Akari remained motionless, the scream stuck in her throat while Dewott and Quilava shook her. "What the hell did you do to my sister?!"

"Nothing she didn't want, I assure you," Volo said, his leer still present as he avoided another punch. That one had been a distraction, and Rei managed to make a swift uppercut to Volo's jaw.

It wasn't enough, and Volo stabbed the knife forward, plunging right into Rei's gut. "Gah! Hah...ah..."

"Oh, this is starting to look familiar," Volo cackled. Akari's eyes widened past the point of naturality, gazing at the scene while Rei coughed blood on the ice. Volo ripped the knife out, letting go to allow it to clatter on the surface of the lake, its usefulness finished. Rei clasped to his abdomen, barely managing to get breaths out. "It's the same useless, pathetic look the people of your town had when Giratina and I razed it to the ground."