Chapter 19: Acceptance

A growling stomach awoke me from my sleep the day after the "Great Bento Box Competition," as Kanna dubbed it in the hour following Tohru's fainting. Thus, groaning softly as I rolled out of bed, I looked towards the soft humming that permeated from the scabbard. A faint purple light gleamed off the surface of its hilt, the holy sword's seal growing brighter as the moments passed by, still a dim glow in the room's darkness.

F/N: Right, I should probably deal with that.

I muttered and lazily strode over to it, moving about by pure memory. Making my way before it, the hum growing louder with each step. Balling up my hand as energy began to course down my arm, I raised my arm level with the seal. As a dark purple light began to crack through my fingers, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. With each time before, I opened my hand and pressed it against the celestial steel; the gentle warmth it permeated subsided as the seal faded. Slumping my shoulders, my hand dropping back to my side as my gaze fell to my chest, the soft glow of the seal upon it remained from yesterday. As with the blade, it would have to be deabt with, though my mind began to wander as a delectable smell filled my nose.

F/N: Wait, is she up?

Thinking to myself, I opened the curtains and got myself ready for the day, finally getting out of the sleeping clothes of yesterday. The smell had only grown stronger as I opened the door, having thrown on a pair of jeans and a simple black shirt. With the living room having returned to normal from the 'festive' wallpaper before, I glanced over to see Tohru humming away as she cooked.

F/N: Morning, Tohru.

Tohru: M-morning, F/N.

The dragon said as she glanced back at me, a soft blush dusting her cheeks as I made my way over, settling down at the kitchen table. Smiling softly, I watched her return to work, the smell at this point like a siren's call.

F/N: So, what's for breakfast?

Tohru: S-some pancakes, that's o-ok, right?

She inquired, her voice growing timider with each word, a frown making its way to my lips as I gave a slight hum, a question that sank in my gut began to permeate my mind. Looking back, as if sensing the feeling within me, Tohru's dusted cheeks began to fade as I spoke.

F/N: Tohru, are you ok? I-I know you fainted yesterday when I asked, but are you having second thoughts about agreeing to a date?

I asked, the dragon's eyes widening as her movements became defensive, waved her arms frantically.

Tohru: No, no! I don't regret-eep!?

Tohru yelped, forgetting the simple fact that she was cooking. In her rapid movements, the pancake that she had been cooking came flying out. Thankfully, it sailed right at me, making for quite the sight as I caught my breakfast and took a bite.

F/N: Heh, you need to be more careful, Tohru.

Tohru: Sorry! I know, I know.

She said, her blush having returned as she quickly turned off the stove and set the pan down. Munching away as she did, I pulled away from the food as the dragon maid turned around and gave a timid bow, her eyes downcast as she spoke.

Tohru: S-sorry again, I've just never been asked out like this before. I'm a bit nervous and all, before it was all playful, but I honestly don't know when it stopped being that, so...no, I don't regret agreeing to a date.

Tohru stated, her eyes still not meeting mine even when she stopped bowing. Sighing softly as I finished my food, I rose from my seat and walked over to her, the dragon only glancing up as I approached. However, a soft eep left her lips once more as I gently cupped her cheek, tilting her head up, our eyes meeting as I spoke.