Chapter 57: Booker

My father led me to a separate wing of the instructor dormitories. We came to a large metal door with a hand scanner next to it. My father pressed his hand to it and waited until he heard a click and the door slid open. In front of us was a large set of stairs. We climbed them in silence until we reached the top and a large bedroom lay in front of us. My father moved around as if he was familiar with the room until he stopped at the office desk in the corner and sat down. "You wanted answers; I'll give them to you. Sit."

This reminded me of our meetings back at Greyson. I pulled up a seat and crossed my arms. "Did mom know?"

His face tightened, and a mask of uneasiness covered it. "She's the reason I left this life. You both were." He took a deep breath. "I was on my own from a young age. Your grandparents didn't want me and left me for dead when they found out I couldn't do what they wanted. They tried to use me to steal things from people around the capital. One day I stole from the wrong person and was beaten half to death. Can you believe I was only ten?" He laughed. "I was so full of rage I went back to teach them a lesson. Only to find out someone beat me to it. They had been killed while having dinner. Do you know what I felt at that moment? I felt happy. I felt free for the first time in a long time. Then I realized someone was watching me. I quickly grabbed a butter knife and held it out to something moving in the shadows. Before I knew it, It had me pinned to the ground with a blade to my neck. I was sure I was dead, but then it let me go. It told me since I was so comfortable around death, maybe I should become it. It offered me a chance to free the world from evil like them. I took it, and I was good at it."

He waited for me to say something, but when I didn't, he continued. "I was so good at it that I became Trinity's youngest Assassin Master by the time I turned seventeen. I had money, home, and respect among my fellow assassins. I had what I thought I needed until one assignment. I was tasked with killing a Necromage who was about to kill an entire village. I snuck my way into his crypt and was about to kill him in his sleep when a bolt of lightning zipped past me and fried the man alive. He was turned to ash in less than a second. When I turned toward the source, my jaw dropped. A beautiful woman stood there. Her jet-black hair flowed behind her. Sparks traveled across her body, and her eyes were burning a luminescent lavender. I was spellbound by her. She immediately knew what I was, and her eyes filled with hatred. She called me so many names I barely remember all of them," He laughed. "I explained why I was there, and she relaxed a little. She told me that the necromancer had killed her friend, and she was there for revenge. No one in the capital would believe her because back then, no one took Necromages seriously. She asked if I could forget she was there, and I told her no. Per the assassin code, I was supposed to kill anyone who interfered with my job. However, you could guess what I did. So instead, I asked her to dinner. She called me a hundred more names before agreeing. We continued seeing each other in secret. It started off just talking, then it escalated. I had to see her. I needed to see her—my Charlotte. One night, I knocked on her front door, and she pulled me inside so fast that I nearly had time to say hi. She looked at me with both excitement and worry in her eyes. Then she told me she was pregnant. I could hardly breathe. Sparks flew off of her as she squealed and jumped for joy. Me? A father? I couldn't believe it. My world had been completely flipped upside down for the better. I had repeatedly thrown myself into danger night after night without regard for my life. Now, I had a family. I had something to live for."

"So you quit?" I ask.

"I did...kind of. You can't quit Trinity. Once an assassin, always an assassin. I stepped down and let Silvia succeed me. Then I decided to start Greyson. I wanted to help others protect the people they cared about. You're mother thought it was a good idea. She wanted you to grow up somewhere safe." My father smiled fondly. "I remember when she first held you in her arms. She looked at you like you were a jewel. She used to make little sparks for you. You used to love it. You'd laugh and clap. She said Electro magic ran through your veins. That's...when she told me about her being a Prime. I'd heard about Primes, but I believed they were just stories. But when Charlotte released her power, I was in awe. I'd never seen a mage do that. She told me when she got it from her mother, she almost went supernova, but then she learned how to control it. Sort of. She'd store up so much electricity sometimes that she had to release it or risk hurting a lot of people. It caused her so much pain. It pained me that I could only watch. If I could've, I would've taken all that pain away from her. I did my best trying to assist her as much as I could."

His fists tightened as tears ran down his face. "It should've been me."

"What?" I ask.

"Charlotte should've been able to live. If I could've switched our fates, then I would've. I can't help you the way I want to. I'm no mage, Booker. I can't do anything to help you with your power. The first time your power surged, I couldn't move. It was Charlotte all over again. But then Aiden showed up and did what I couldn't. He helped you control it. As much as I hate him right now, I owe him a lot. I guess he saw your mother's power in you and wanted to keep an eye out."

"I heard her voice a couple of days ago. When my power went crazy after you left, she helped me calm down. Em said she heard her mom's voice too."

"Aiden said that might happen. Primes pass down knowledge to the next Prime. If you focus, it may be possible to learn from The Electro Primes before your mother." He leaned back in the chair. "I never wanted you to be an assassin. It goes against your mother's wishes. However, she wouldn't want you to get into a situation you couldn't get out of. You're just learning about your Prime powers. We're going to need a few days to prepare you and Emily to face Jessie. Honestly, it needs to be years, but we don't have that kind of time. Your friend needs your help. I...want you to be prepared just in case he might not be the same. I know what The Blood Prime can do to people to make them join his cause. Blake may be strong, but everyone has their limits."

I didn't want to believe it, but he was right. Jessie is insane, and gods only know what he's doing to Blake. Em said he was in bad shape the last time she saw him. "We'll get him back. I know we will."

My father gave me a nod and then yawned. "Well, we should get some rest. Your training will be harder than it's ever been tomorrow. You'll need all your energy." He stood up and walked into the bathroom. I could feel my power start to act up when my hand started to twitch. I need to get this under control. I have to protect what matters to me.