Chapter 59: Emily's Dream

Emily found herself staring at an ocean. As she came to her senses, she realized the beach she was on. White sand stretched for miles in different directions. The sound of the waves crashing into the shore made her feel at peace. It wasn't until the waves went still that her nerves reacted. Suddenly, a cold wind blew through the beach. Panic filled her heart as everything turned to chaos. 

"And it was such a pretty day too." Emily turned toward the voice and saw her mother looking out at the ocean. "I've always loved the ocean. For obvious reasons." She looked down at Emily and smiled warmly, then sat down beside her. She covered her ears and turned back. "Hey, hon, can you do something about this?" She yelled back.

Emily turned around and saw her father walking toward them. "Sure," He shouted over the wind. Matthew stuck his hand out, and the wind went quiet. "Better, love?" He bent down and kissed her forehead. 

"I suppose. What do you think, Emily?" Her mother asked.

Emily was speechless. Both her parents were there. "I-I..."

Her mother stood and smacked Matthew in the chest. "Ow! Susie, what was that for?"

"You scared her," Susie said, pointing at him. 

"How's this my fault? You told me to make a small storm."

"Small, Matthew. Small. Not tornado," Susie said, shaking her head. She glanced over to Emily. "I'm sorry. Maybe we took it a bit far. It's been a while, Em. I know you have a lot of questions."

Emily's hand found the side of her mother's face. "This is a dream, right? You feel real."

Susie covered Emily's hand with her own. "Unfortunately, it is. However, we are here to help you in spirit. We are connected. I wish we could really be there with you. But our time has passed. I'm so sorry we left you with such a burden. We tried to prepare you as best we could while we were alive. And you thought me signing you up for the aquatics team was me just being mean. I still remember when we dropped you off. You didn't want to go, but that changed when I picked you up. Water is our talent. It bends to you."

Matthew cleared his throat. "What about me? Aero magic is just as important." He rubbed the back of his head. "I may be a little biased," He laughed.

"Both are important," Susie winked. She sat back. "Well, show me what you can do." Matthew sat down in the sand next to his wife and wrapped her in his arms. 

"Right now?" Emily asked, suddenly feeling nervous.  She stood up and suddenly didn't know what to do. "Uh..."

"It's alright, Em. Just breathe. Here," Her mother stood up and walked closer to the water. She closed her eyes and focused. The water shot out and wrapped itself around her like a ring orbiting a planet. "I'm going to pass it to you, okay?" Without waiting for Emily's response, Susie guided the water over to Emily. 

Emily felt her power rush forward, and the water started to snake its way around her body. It looked like they were standing in a figure eight until the whole thing was just around Emily. "Good job, love! See? It's not so hard. Don't fear the water. Guide it." Susie began funneling more water towards Emily's ring and making it grow bigger while also funneling her knowledge into her slowly. Emily's control began to strengthen, and before long, the ring became a dome of water. Emily's aura sprung forward, and her eyes began to glow. 

Her parents embraced each other as they watched their daughter master her power. "Matthew, look!" Susie said in amazement.

"I see her, Susie. Gods above, she's amazing," Matthew said.

Emily saw her parents through the dome and tear-filled eyes. She gently guided the water back into the ocean and ran over to them. Embracing them. She pulled back and let her father brush her tears away. "I'm...we're so proud of you."

Emily wiped her face. "Thanks, dad. I miss you guys."

"We miss you too. We're always here if you need us," Susie said. "Things will be hard, but you're strong, Emily. Whatever happens, you that you have the power to change things. This is your power. Not anyone else's."

"Okay," Emily said, hugging them again. She could feel herself waking up. Her face turned from happy to worried.

"As your mother said, we're always here. If you need to know anything, you know where to find us," Matthew said as the world went dark.