Chapter 13: Emily

I didn't want Booker to let me go, but we both knew we couldn't stay like this forever even though we wanted to. "Let's go get a real meal," Booker said. "My treat."

"Cool, we're we going?" Blake said, peeking in the room.

"Hey, Blake," I say.

"I was talking to Em, not you," Booker said. He grabbed a new shirt and hanged. He really did have scars on his back. Part of me wanted to ask if it was really a werewolf, but I don't bother. 

"I don't mind. Let's have a good time. Can we go into town? Didn't you say it had good food?" I ask.

"Some of the best the realm has to offer. Over dinner, you guys can tell me about all the action from earlier. Plus, I kept those trolls from crushing your precious car. You owe me one."

Booker laughed. "Fine, but your paying for yourself."

Booker opens the door, and his father stands on the other side. "Dad?"

"It's good to see you up. Going somewhere?" Captain Leon asked.

"Going to get something to eat in town."

"You should be resting," Captain Leon said. "You all should be resting."

"We're fine. Just hungry. We'll be back, for it gets too late." Booker turns to us. "Come on, guys." Booker tries to walk past his father but was stopped. Captain Leon whispered something in Booker's ear before letting him pass. Blake and I leave as well. 

On the way out, Booker drove around campus so we could get familiar with the campus. Some of the damage was already repaired after the attack. Some of The Guardians were holding a ceremony for their fallen. How many did they lose?

"At least twenty. Most of them were recruits," Booker answered. 

"I told you not to read my mind," I say.

"Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I like knowing what's going on in that head of yours."

A smile spread across my face. He's not even trying to hide the fact he likes me. It's cute. "Well, next time, I might think of something dirty."

Booker smiles. "I don't think you understand that that wouldn't bother me."

"Like I said, annoying. Blake, How do you deal with him?"

"I just tune him out. It usually works."

"Screw the both of you. Get out."

The town was in full swing. The town was illuminated by magic. Floating lanterns lined the streets. The food stalls smelled amazing. I wanted to stop at all of them. Some of the food was like nothing I've ever seen before.

"Young lady! Care to try some authentic dragon meat? It's the best you'll ever eat!" A merchant said. The merchant wasn't human. It looked like a goblin.

"He is," Booker said.

I look at him, annoyed, then turned back to the merchant. "Sure? I've never had dragon meat."

"Never had dragon? You don't know what you've been missing! Here." The merchant handed me a bowl of "dragon meat." 

"It's really chewy," I say, taking a bite. "But it's good."

"See?" It turned to Booker. "You should buy the lady some to take home."

"I'll pass, thanks," Booker said, crossing his arms. 

We thank the merchant and head farther down the street. Blake pointed out the different shops. "That one sells potion ingredients. I need to stop there before we leave. Over there is a shop that sells spell casting tools. Some magic requires certain items to cast. The more complex the spell, the more likely you'll need items. However, I don't know if that applies to you, Emily."