Awkwardness.

Chloe sat up then, seemingly trying distract me, or something like that. And she wasn't going to let me out of the whole gun thing. "Okay, you ready to lock and load?"

"I don't know about this..." I muttered as we both started to stand from the car. She put her arm around me as we walked. Then she stopped and slowly turned toward me.

"Are you afraid of getting in trouble? I know you can handle this. Make me proud, sista." Chloe smiled at me and pulled out the gun again before handing it over to me. It felt so awkward in my hands. I didn't like holding it. And my mind was still on other things. My feelings for her. I didn't want to think about that, but it seemed to be all I could manage to think about.

"Let's... Let's just go now, Chloe." I managed to get out as I looked at her. "Please?"

"No, come on. Just shoot something Max. One thing, for me? I'm here, and you have that rewind power of yours. Nothing bad is gonna happen." I sighed a little and then nodded. Anything to just get her to stop with this. Besides, what could it hurt?

I looked at her. "What should I shoot at, then?"

"Anything. Come on, do it."

I rolled my eyes as she urged me on and lifted the gun as I looked around. But I was too nervous to actually shoot anything. Then I felt Chloe come up behind me and put her arms around my waist. "Don't take all day, super Max." She whispered in my ear. "Here, I'll help you out." Her hands went to my arms and she helped to steady them for me. "Now shoot. Just pull the trigger." With her gently urging and her body lightly pressed against mine, I felt suddenly even more nervous. There were butterflies in my stomach in that moment. And I felt my finger squeeze the trigger, barely hearing the gunshot ring out. "Hella yeah, I knew you could do it!"

Starting to pull myself out of her grip, I looked at her and smiled. "Now can we go?"

"Alright, alright. Fine. Back to my house?" Chloe suggested as I handed the gun back to her.

"I think I just want to go back to my dorm at Blackwell and relax for a while.. Can we hang more later?"

She looked at me curiously and then nodded. Today had honestly been fun. Things with Chloe were always fun. But today had started feeling different. Dropping me off at my dorm, I said a goodbye to my best friend and watched her drive off. Then I went back to my room and just hung out by myself for the next few hours. Thinking about things. Then my phone made a noise and I knew I'd just gotten a text. I knew without even checking that it would be Chloe or Warren, most likely.

Chloe: Max

The boss with the gun

Marry me

I swear I read it and nearly choked. But of course she'd be joking. And I had to play it cool. She didn't know how I felt about her.

Max: Illegal in Oregon. For now.

Chloe: Fuq that shit

Elope

I laughed softly and then shook my head. But her words made me feel those stupid little butterflies again. For a moment, I thought about how to reply back, biting my lip a little bit in nervousness. If she could be joking and slightly flirty, so could I. I'm sure she'd assume, like I did, that there wasn't any seriousness to it.

Max: Maybe one day. ;)

Chloe: NO EMOJI! Wanna hang?

Max: Sure, I'll be in my dorm. Come over.

I sat my phone down beside my bed and leaned back against the wall, waiting for her. I wanted to see her again, so badly. I was always so happy when Chloe was around. I closed my eyes slightly and let out a soft sigh. How could I be having feelings for her now? How.. And why.. I had never even really been with anyone. Aside from practice kisses with Chloe. I frowned and opened my eyes again to just stare at the ceiling, lost in thought. This was all very confusing. I wondered if it was something about her new style that made me feel so hopelessly attracted to her, but I wasn't sure. Suddenly, a knock at the door broke my train of thought. "Yo, Max, guess who?" I laughed softly and opened the door for Chloe. Quietly, she walked into the room and looked around, closing the door behind her as I returned to sitting on my bed. "Your room is kinda messy." She teased me.