His

Negan ran his thumb over the marks on Carol's neck as she lay peacefully sleeping facing away from him. He couldn't take his eyes off them. He continued grazing his fingertips over the spot. There he was, etched on her skin. A trace of their still mostly secret existence together. Him on her. Something switched inside of him, a feeling triggered that had been laying dormant for years. His instinctive and almost feral need to protect what was his.
His.

He slid his large calloused hand over her waist and up her smooth stomach. He pulled her in closer to him and breathed her in.

"Mmm... good morning." Carol spun over into his arms to face him with a shy smile. She hadn't quite recovered from the night before, their first proper uninterrupted night spent together.

Negan reflected her sweet smile. She looked so content lying there beside him. Her blue eyes sparkled in the morning light, her silvery hair was tousled.

She frowned at him. "What is it?" There was a look on Negan's face that she couldn't quite place.

Negan broke into a grin. "You're beautiful." He told her simply, his voice was low and still thick with sleep.

Carol breathed a laugh and pushed his chest.

"Seriously." Negan was still grinning as he placed his lips to hers. "I'm just realising how damn lucky I've been lately."

Carol kissed him. She couldn't argue with that. "You going soft on me?"

"Mmm, quite the opposite actually." Negan wet his lips and leaned down to kiss Carol's neck.
She cocked her head as his lips fluttered over her, as if he was trying to soothe away the bruises from the previous night of passion.
Carol was really enjoying this side to Negan. Sure, the rough night time fun was great, but in his sleepy morning state it seemed he couldn't keep his hands off her.

Negan froze as Carol sighed his name.

"Negan?" Carol lifted his head so she could see his face clearly. His expression looked serious, but only for a second. His soft smile returned when their eyes connected.

"I don't know if I'm ready for today." He confessed, taking her hand and entwining their fingers together.

"It'll be ok. You make me feel so safe, Negan. They'll see that. They'll get it. We'll make them understand." Carol kissed his hand.

Negan opened his mouth to reply but was interrupted by a knock on the bedroom door.

Carol pulled on her night dress and sorted her hair as she opened the door.
"Oh, Maggie. Is everything alright?" Carol stepped out of her room and closed the door behind her.

"No. There's been a change of plans. We need everyone at the gates. Now." Maggie eyed up the closed door. "And bring Negan."
Carol could tell by her expression that it was something serious.

•••

"So this 'mega herd' was the same shit you were gonna send me towards with a damn wooden spear the other day!?"

"We didn't know it had grown." Maggie spoke to Negan through her teeth. She had pulled him to the side as the others gathered around the wagons. "We need you to cooperate Negan. There isn't enough fighters left."

"You mean you need my help."
Maggie stared at him with pure hatred.
"Say it. Say you need my help, and I'll help." Negan raised his eyebrows, he couldn't hide his smugness or how much he was enjoying this.