I must've done something right

"Carol? You still with us?"

Carol smiled and nodded politely but she couldn't stop her eyes from wandering back to the window. She wondered where Negan was right at that moment, what he was doing, if he was thinking of her. She hoped he was thinking about her, she couldn't stop thinking about him.

She thought about his eyes, about the way he looked at her. He really looked at her, like he was studying her, like he was trying to learn everything he could.
She thought about his hands, how gentle his touch was, when he wanted it to be. Otherwise his hands were strong, and commanding. She wasn't sure which she preferred.
And she thought about how they made love the night before. Really made love. How he told her he loved her as he kissed her wrist, as he kissed her bare shoulder, as he kissed her neck...
She shifted in her seat.

"Carol?" All eyes were on her, Aaron was looking at her expectantly. He raised his eyebrows.

"Oh, sorry." She cleared her throat and sat up straight. She could feel her cheeks redden "Aye." She had almost no idea what she'd just voted for, something to do with what they were growing.

"All right, that's four ayes and three nays... So that settles it." Aaron sighed and collected his notes together. "We continue with current crop rotation through the spring. Anyone else have anything they want to bring up?"

Carol squinted at Maggie who hadn't said very much at the meeting at all.

"Okay. Great. Have a good day people."

The room filled with muttering and chattering as the councillors and various members of the public got up to leave.

"Maggie, wait can we talk?" Carol managed to stop Maggie before she left, she couldn't let this drag out any longer.

•••

Negan hit another nail into the wooden post

Negan hit another nail into the wooden post. It felt like the millionth time he'd repeated the motion already that morning. He was sweating, the hammer felt heavy in his hand, his back ached and his hands were blistered.
He sighed as he glanced at the nearby church where the council meeting was taking place. He had been waiting for what felt like an eternity for the leaders to finish up and for that door to open.

Just as Negan was starting a new panel, a group of teens that were walking by stopped to call out a familiar whistle. He pursed his lips and kept hammering, ignoring their laughter. It was happening almost every day now.

"Keep it moving, Simon." Negan was sick of the little red haired prick. He wiped his brow with the back of his hand and pulled another nail out of the bag that was clipped onto his belt.

The whistling continued. He closed his eyes and took a breath to try and keep his composure. He was used to this kind of shit by now and had gotten pretty good at not rising to it.

"Last warning kid, I am not in the mood today. Get out of here."

"C'mon, I could take you easy. And I ain't a kid anymore."