Going Under

Chapter 14

Going Under

“Oni…” Betsy said in a prim tone.

Oni stood and bowed to her in respect. He sat back down and continued drawing as if people were not standing outside the door.

“At least some people still respect the old ways. Koruna, can I have a word?”  Betsy chased the others away with the wave of her hand.

“Can we be done with this first? I have an appointment later and I wouldn’t want to miss it, please give us thirty minutes… give or take.” Oni replied without raising his head.

Betsy nodded and closed the door.

“Hmmmmm… I take it back, you are not dull.” Koruna grinned at him.

“What can you do?”

“What?”

“Apart from attend classes, do you have any talent? This assignment would require both of our contribution.” He continued.

“I have a way with words, you can do the paintings and I’ll do the captions. Our theme based on what you have drawn so far would be… The fates or two fates. Whichever flows?” Koruna stretched her legs.

“That’s rough, but it is enough for today, we have a theme and something of a name. We need more information to gain depth and more understanding. This Grandma Buke of yours, is she alive?” He closed his book and arranged his things into the bag.

Pelumi came in with a tray of their snacks and food.

“She will outlive us all, she hasn’t aged a day for the last ten years. Are we done for the day?”

“With the assignment… Let’s go tomorrow to see this Buke and next time, we will meet at my house.” He started eating his meal.

“Whatever you say…”

Koruna walked Oni down to his car and was stopped by everyone in the living room as she returned.

“Is it that unbelievable?” Koruna raised her brows.
Margaret sighed like the situation was ridiculous.

“How, how did you get him to come to the house? Oni answers to no one and I don’t care if it is the assignment, there is no way that he would pay attention to someone like you.”

“Unless she offered something different.” Annie stared Koruna down like she was nothing.

“First, there is no one like me and secondly, I don’t need sex to feel attractive or pleasant. Maybe that is something you need to work on Annie. Have a good night Ballans.”

Koruna walked away and into Betsy’s room. Betsy was reading a book on a chair. She removed her glasses when she saw Koruna waiting.

“I will not bother you with the details. Stay away from that family and if you can’t, try to be safe. I understand that they have a certain displeasure to people saying no to them. I know you are at the age where it is easy to fall in love, don’t… Don’t fall for any member of that family.” Betsy ordered and went back to reading.

“Because you cannot control them?” Koruna asked gently.

“That amongst other things. You can go, I won’t say more on this matter.”

Koruna left the room and was stopped by Kelvin on the way to her room.

“You say you don’t want power by some luck or reason, you have managed to be acquainted to one of the most powerful people in school. If you did not want to partner up with me, you could have just said so instead of giving me a flimsy excuse about not wanting to be Queen.” He said disappointedly.