Not over

Chapter 35
Not over

“Can I speak to you privately?”  The doctor asked, he knew how sensitive the information he was about to release was and didn’t think it would be wise to tell a room full of people and so he thought R’ao was the closest to her.

“He is not at all related to her, I’m her sister and therefore I think I should be the only one privy to whatever information you tag sensitive.” Margaret argued.

Flora scoffed at that and came closer to the doctor, “She barely acknowledges her presence and they have only been sisters for three or two months, we grew up together and so I and my friends are the most qualified to be regarded as guardians.”

The doctor sighed, this was the problem with patients who didn’t have paperwork that would determine their guardian and next of kin. As far as he was concerned the girl might not even exist, she wasn’t in their system and had no medical background of any kind which he found strange considering she has some sort of relation to two of the most powerful families in Nige.

“Just tell us what it is.” R’ao had no patience for pleasantries.

“Okay, a high level of CK was found in her blood, CK is an aphrodisiac that has been in the market for the past three years. The cut on her arm seems to have been self-inflicted, based on this we can say that she bit herself not to succumb to the effects of the drugs. That in itself shows that she is mentally strong and agile.” The doctor said and he could see R’ao visibly tense after what he’d said.

The doctor continued, “it is alright; we also checked for signs of sexual assault and found none but it is possible that to protect herself, she shut her mind off especially when she must have discovered she was losing consciousness. I cannot say how long her coma would last but it is important that she feels safe and protected. If you know anything or anyone that can do that, it would help with her recovery. Talk to her, remind her of good memories, anything that can spark her consciousness would help.”

“You will be able to see her in three hours after she has been moved so you can take the time to refresh and see her at intervals.” He gave a complimentary smile and left.

“That son of a maggot!!!” Flora shrieked.

“Of course Koruna would rather die than...” Flank groaned.

Margaret pulled at her hair, Mariam removed the hand from her hair and held it, “She will be fine, you heard the doctor. She is mentally agile and would pull through. I know that look, none of this is your fault. There was nothing you could have done for Jason and for her and even if there was, this is not the time to dwell in the past. Think about what you can do for her right now.” Mariam comforted.

Annie went to the room Bernie was, he had donated his blood and was recuperating.

“Any news?”  Bernie asked and Annie explained what the doctor had said, she had not known how to feel when Koruna first came to their house. She had never really understood her parent’s marriage and over time, she just felt like that was what marriage was; loveless and amicable. They didn’t quarrel but they felt more like roommates than people who loved and cared for each other but she didn’t think her father would cheat on her mother.

Charles Ballan was someone that prided himself on principles and uprightness. He was different from Betsy in that manner, he spent time with his children and even though he did not understand them, Annie felt his love. She had always thought she was his favorite, he indulged her a lot and even when he disciplined others, he was gentle with her. Seeing Koruna had shaken that confidence, until she found out that Koruna had never met him. Her feelings became complicated and she was torn between feelings of pity, guilt and wonder.