chapter 11

I got into the passenger's seat and Kyle slid into the driver's side. He stuck the key into ignition and then gave it a twist, making the truck roar to life as I buckled myself in. I looked at Kyle thoughtfully as he started pulling out of the large driveway. After a minute or so he glanced at me and narrowed his eyes playfully, "What?" he asked as we turned onto the road.

I shifted in my seat to face him more, "Do you ever put on your seatbelt?"

He looked at me confused, then slowly, he slid out a "No?" I averted my eyes and nodded, sucking on my upper lip. He continued to look at me for a while but eventually let it go and fixed his eyes on the road.

I starred out the window and thought. Why didn't Kyle want to spend the night at that house? There didn't seem to be anything wrong with it. Then something clicked in my mind. I turned back to look at Kyle, "Kyle, where are your parents?"

He seemed to flinch at the question and I noticed his grip on the steering wheel slightly tightened, making a rush of guilt flow through me. With his eyes still on the road he responded, "They died."

I lowered my eyes and I started to feel really bad. I cursed my self repeatedly in my mind but I couldn't help but push further. "I'm sorry. How did it happen?"

He let out a sigh and I saw the sadness flow into his eyes until he spoke. "When I was twelve, my dad...he killed my mom in front of me. And then, because he felt so bad," I heard anger starting to fill his voice, "He killed himself." My heart sank and I felt my eyes tearing up. I turned my head to the window to wipe my tears and then looked back at him.

"Did that happen in-"

He finished my sentence with a nod, "In that house. That's why I don't really visit it, but it's definitely not the only reason. After the incident my widowed aunt came to live and take care of me. After about a month, she was diagnosed with three different cancers and died soon after." I gasped, but he wasn't finished. "After she died, my older sister and her two small children came to live with me."

The tears came a little quicker, oh no. "We were happy and thriving for three years." I wiped the tears again, I couldn't believe how calm he was being. His face was calm, but his eyes told it all.

He continued, "One day, I went out to the store to get groceries. It was later than I expected to be home because of a hold up at the store. When I got home, I could see someone had broken in. I rushed up to my sister's bedroom and saw her on the bed with the little girls. There was blood...everywhere and all three of them were dead. My sister, was stabbed three times. In the throat, chest, and stomach." He stopped and kept his eyes on the road. I was horrified to hear more but I couldn't speak. And he kept on.

"My little niece, the youngest, Katy. The bastard cut off two of her fingers and then slit her throat. And Sam, he just cut her wrists and let her bleed to death." He slammed his hand on the steering wheel, making me jump. He took a deep breath and then looked at me, the sadness and anger completely gone from his eyes. "I'm sorry Mary. I didn't want to scare you."

I shook my head and wiped my tears for the last time. I had stopped crying, yeah I felt really bad, but my anger at the creep who killed them clouded my other emotions. "What happened after you found them?" I asked in a strong voice.

At first he looked surprised at my sudden change of mood, but then he gave a half smile and after making a right turn, continued with the story. "I ran downstairs to grab a phone and call 911 and saw that the creep was still in the house. I hit him in the head with a cutting board." He full out smiled and I got a little scared when he let out a small chuckle. Then I uh...stabbed him thirty seven times in the chest."

I gasped, "Kyle! Is that all or did you do more?" I asked. I wish I could say that I was disgusted and afraid of Kyle. But I couldn't and, actually, had a smile on my face.

"Well, then I chopped off his hands." He laughed and I wash shocked that he wasn't as sad or angry anymore. And before I knew it, I was laughing with him, all of my sadness and anger relieved as well.

Kyle made another turn and the smell of fast food let me know we had arrived at Burger KIng. I raised my hands in the air and yawned whie saying, "We're here!"

I opened my door and slid out after unbuckling and Kyle did the same after pulling the key out of ignition and putting it in his pocket. Once out I stretched my arms and legs, it felt really good being here. It reminded me of a long road trip.

We walked into the resaraunt and got in line.

"I gotta pee." Kyle said as he turned toward the bathrooms and started walking.

I patted him on the back, "Have fun."

I looked over the menu, we were next in line. There were so many things I didn't really know what to get. I guess I could try out what Kyle's getting. Oh wait, Kyle didn't tell what he wanted. I sighed and stepped aside to let other people take their orders.

After a minute or two of standing I decided I would just go sit down and wait for Kyle at a booth. I walked over and looked around for a good place to sit and after finding one, I wandered over to it and sat down.

At first, while sitting down, I played with my hair and glanced behind me every now and then to see if Kyle had gotten back yet. What was taking him so long? I turned once more but he wasn't there, he really needed to hurry up. When I turned around and glanced at the table, before me there was a little white napkin that said, 'Mary? Nod if yes.' I looked around for Kyle again. Was he playing with me?

I nodded and my eyes wandered around the restaurant. Kyle was still in the bathroom so who gave me the note? I glanced to my right and locked gazes with the very guy that visited me at the hospital. Was he the one who sent the note? He made his way to my booth and sat down next to me, smiling.

Slightly creeped out I asked, "Excuse me, but who are you?" He leaned into me and I leaned away. After hitting the corner of the booth I swore in my mind. Why couldn't I have sat down at a table?

He stopped and frowned, "You don't remember me?" Should remember him? I don't.

I shook my head and tried to wedge myself deeper into the corner. His smile returned and he leaned closer, this time towards my lips.

I put my hands on his chest to push him away, "What the he-" he pressed his lips to mine and tried to break into my mouth. But I refused and tried to push him away, but he was too strong and kept his lips on mine. Suddenly a picture flashed through my head of him. Him kissing me! How the hell did I know this guy? I had to get him off of me, but what to do?

IDEA! I opened my mouth slightly and before he could slip in his tongue, I bid down hard on his lips. He jerked back and I took the opportunity to get my legs up and push him out of the booth. He landed with a thud and gave me a scowl. "What the hell Mary?!" He asked.

I stood up and backed away from him, "What the hell what, how do you know me?" I asked impatiently.

"You really don't remember anything do you?"

"How do you know me?" I asked again, avoiding his question.

"I'm your best friend."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haha little cliff hanger! Feedback appreciated, tell me what ya think. VOTE COMMENT TELL YOUR FRIENDS.....two camels in a tiny car!