Chapter 26

Éponine's POV

I spent the next day or two in and out of sleep. I had the strangest dreams. Images of Adrien, Gavroche, Adam, Theodore, Azelma, and all of my friends swirled in my mind, calling my name. I saw Sebastien once or twice, which would wake me before Enjolras would comfort me, allowing me to fall back asleep.

When I was awake, I knew how upset he was. I was too. I felt terrible for tearing apart a brother and sister. I hadn't been awake for long one morning when I voiced these feelings.

"Ép!" Adrien chastised. "Don't you dare blame yourself for what that monster did to you."

He sat beside me, brushing the hair from my face.

"Still, I feel bad. Do your parents know?"

"Yes," he admitted after a moment of hesitation. "But they're not mad at us."

I sighed, nodding, before I slowly drifted back to sleep. I could still feel him laying beside me, holding me close and rocking gently back and forth.

Two days later

I had regained my strength fairly quickly, and Adrien and I had spent a lot of time talking to his parents. The more I got to know them, the more I liked them. They seemed like genuinely good people.

"Ép, cherie, can I steal you away for a moment? For a walk on the beach?" Adrien said one afternoon as I sat with his mother in the living room.

"Of course you can borrow her," his mother exclaimed happily, helping me off the chair I was sitting in.

I looked between the two of them, wondering what on earth they could be talking about.

"Please, Mama," Adrien said nervously, rolling his eyes. "It's just a walk on the beach."

"Of course, son. Have a lovely time, you two," his mother smiled, before scurrying away towards the kitchen, smiling like a fool.

"I'm so sorry about that, cherie," he laughed nervously.

"Adrien, what's going on?" I asked anxiously.

"Just walk to the beach with me!" he pleaded.

"Fine, fine. I'm coming," I laughed, taking his hand and heading towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Monsieur Enjolras asked, walking in the door from the beach, covered in water.

"We were heading down to the beach," Adrien explained. "Why are you soaking wet?"

"I was just down at the beach, and it started storming. There's no way you two are going down there. You'll catch a deathly cold down there," Monsieur Enjolras said, shaking his head and heading towards his room.

Adrien groaned loudly, throwing his head back.

"No, no, no. You've got to be kidding," he sighed.

"Adrien, what's the matter? It's just a walk on the beach," I reasoned.

"No, Ép, it's not."

"What's the big deal?

"I really wanted-" he stopped himself, taking a deep breath. "I really wanted to spend some quality time together at the beach"

"We will before we leave. I promise," I swore, kissing his cheek.

A/N: I'm sorry that it took so long and that it's so incredibly short. The next update will be quicker and longer! Thanks for your support!