Chapter Six: Lunch

Kion walked through the lunchroom. Everybody was so engrossed in eating that nobody noticed him entering at first. Then Baliyo nudged his sister, Rani, and she looked up at him. Her eyes narrowed from across the cafeteria. Her friends followed her line of eyesight as she looked at Kion. The voices around them slowly stopped, and the lunchroom descended into complete and utter silence. 

Kion slowly walked passed their table and sat down at Kovu's table on the other side of the massive lunchroom. He slid in between Vitani and Kovu. Sitting across from him was Nuka and Bunga, along with Bunga's girlfriend Binga. 

Vitani stood up off her seat. She brushed her hair out of her eyes and smacked her gum loudly and growled. 

"What are y'all goddamn bitches lookin' at?" She snarled. The room was tense as Jasiri and Baliyo slowly stood up, but Rani put her hand on Baliyo's arm and he slowly sat back, quickly and closely followed by Jasiri. Her sister Madoa slid a finger across her throat while glaring at Vitani. Vitani just laughed loudly and flipped her off. Madoa looked shocked, but resumed conversation with Rani and the others at their table. The cafeteria seemed to breathe a sigh of a mixture of relief and disappointment about there not being any fighting.  

Kion stared at Vitani in suprise. "Thanks for helping me," he said. "No one's really done that for me before, not unless Rani said so." Vitani smiled. "What are friends for, kid?" Across the table, Nuka held out his paw. "Hey, bud. I'm Nuka. How are ya?" Kion grinned as the big lion opened his mouth, showing his teeth before he smirked.  

"I'm good, thanks." Kion said. Bunga nodded at him from his spot next to Nuka, and Binga smiled at Kion. "Yo, wassup, man?" Bunga asked, raising a hand in greeting. 

"Nothing much other than the whole fucking world wants me dead, but nothing other than the usual." Kion shrugged. Bunga barked out a happy laugh. "I like this guy," he said happily. "I can tell we are gonna be great friends, Kion." Binga nodded beside him. 

"So, Bunga," Kovu asked him, directing Bunga's joyful gaze toward him. "How's it going with your song for the talent show in a couple of weeks?" 

"Pretty good," Bunga said. "I can show you the lyrics if you want." 

Kovu nodded, and Vitani said "sure," as Bunga pulled out his iPhone and scrolled and clicked his way to Word, where he opened a document labeled THAT'S A JOKE. He handed the phone carefully to Kovu and Kion nudged closer to Kovu so he could read, highly aware of his body pressing warmly against Kovu's. Vitani smirked at them and got up to look between both Kion and Kovu's shoulders. 

"I also recorded a music video already," Bunga added. He directed Kovu over to his Photos, where a video sat near the bottom of the massive catalog of photos, videos, and GIFs. Kovu clicked on it, and it started to play. 

"Wow," said Kovu. "That's really good, Bunga. I didn't know you could rap like that, man." 

Bunga smiled under the praise from his friend. "Thanks, yo. It kinda just happened and I've been in the rap industry ever since. I've made a couple songs, and I'm gonna do this one for the talent show." 

Kion smiled. "Well, I hope you win, bud." 

Bunga looked at him with a grin. "Thanks, man. I appreciate that, yo." Binga nodded beside him again. 

The lunch bell rang, and Kion and the others got up and went to go put away their lunch trays. Without a single doubt, this had been Kion's best lunch period ever. 

(AN: I won't be able to publish at all next week because I have camp to go to but stay safe and Hakuna Matata.)