01. ┊ rebirth of the soul

You awoke abruptly, immediately being met with cold, harsh wind that felt as though icicles pierced your skin

You awoke abruptly, immediately being met with cold, harsh wind that felt as though icicles pierced your skin. You, however, were unable to speak. Instead, everything you attempted to say came out in loud, high-pitched wails. This caused your eyes to wander, and you looked down at your hands.

They were... small. Too small for your liking. The confusion only added to your emotions, that for some reason felt as if they were enhanced by ten times.

You were placed in a basket, and the only thing that was keeping you warm from the freezing air was a thick blanket that covered your entire body.

You wept and wept as the one thing illuminating the area was a light that was seated neatly on a stone podium. Snow seemed to be dusted on top of it.

Now that you thought about it, where exactly were you anyways?

You focused your mind, trying to recollect your memory on what happened before you woke up. Scanning your mind, you searched for the answer to your question.

And then it hit you, the memories running back.

You died due to heart failure. In which the heart was unable to pump the efficient amount of blood needed for your body.

I guess you knew that you were going to die soon, which is why you spent most of your time on a shitty little anime-styled game that gave minors gambling addictions.

And it's not like you could've gone out to see the world either, after all your parents were unable to provide basic healthcare for you. Neglectful and ignorant about your wellbeing, probably until you passed.

So, how did that correlate to the situation you were in as of now? Dying and then what? You woke up as a baby in some random place, which was totally not strange nor weird at all.

You suddenly perked up, hearing the faint sound of footsteps coming from somewhere around you. Unsure of where it was coming from, you hesitantly glanced around.

Your eyes then shot to the door in front of you, hearing the clicking of the doorknob as a lady dressed in black and purple accents opened it. A mask was on her face, yet only covering her eyes and nose. Her attire was familiar as well, where had you seen it before?

The lady studied the surrounding area, suspicion eating her away before she looked down. Instantly spotting your tiny figure in just a mere basket, she was quite taken aback.

Hoisting up your basket into her arms, she carefully brought you inside. The warm atmosphere of the room began to warm you up as you snuggled beneath the blanket that was laid over you.

"Well, little one, how did you get here?" The lady cooed, a small smile on her face as she watched over you.

You only stared back up at her with doe eyes, wonder and curiosity peaking as your eyes wandered around.