5

I didn't have a chance to knock on the door to Kirigan's study before he called out for me to come in. I pushed open the heavy wooden door and rolled my eyes.

"How do you always do that?" I asked. He chuckled, still looking over the papers on the table.

"I can feel you," he said. He glanced up at me. "Don't you remember?" I smiled a bit and nodded.

"I don't know how I could forget," I said. I walked over and leaned back on the table, crossing my arms as I watched him study the pages.

"I'm taking Alina to the fountain," he said suddenly. "We'll be gone for several hours." I furrowed my brows but nodded.

"The fountain?" He nodded. "It's been a while since I've been there."

"Seven months." I looked up at him to find him already watching me. "I counted." He smiled softly. "We'll have to go back soon. Just you and I." I smiled a bit and shrugged.

"Perhaps." I sighed and stood up, stretching out my arms. "But today, it's you and Alina. Any particular reason?" He sighed.

"She doesn't feel at home here," he told me. "She feels out of place, which is natural, but she doesn't feel that she can ever truly be what we think she can. I'm hoping to make her more comfortable." I nodded. "And I was thinking, when I get back, we could have some kvas. You can bring Hadley and Jeliah, I'll bring Ivan and Fedyor. It'll be like old times." I snorted.

"Old times?" I asked. "As in two weeks ago?" He chuckled and nodded.

"Well considering there was a time when we would have some every night, two weeks is a long time!" I laughed and nodded.

"I'm not sure about Hadley and Jeliah, but I'll be there." I sighed as I smiled up at him. "I miss it." He smirked.

"My dear Katya," he said softly, "with the way you're talking and how often you see them, I'd almost say it was like you missed me." I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

"Saints," I muttered. "No. Who could ever miss you?" He laughed, but I continued. "You're loud. Obnoxious. Arrogant, controlling, possessive. The list goes on and on." He grinned.

"You love it, don't lie." I sighed and looked up at him, giving in.

"I do," I said quietly. I groaned. "Besides, I can't lie to you. You know I can't. You're one of the only people I know who can always tell when I'm lying. I have no idea how you do it." He grinned.

"I'm just that good." I rolled my eyes.

"Sure. Keep telling yourself that."

🜂

True to his word, Kirigan had two bottles of kvas brought to his room later that day; however, Ivan and Fedyor were helping train some of the younger Heartrenders, and Hadley and Jeliah... were busy. So instead of six people splitting the two bottles, we now had a bottle each. Which, the two of us not ever really getting a break, was not a great idea.

It wasn't very long before both bottles were completely empty.

Lucky for us, we held alcohol very well. Not well enough to keep completely sober after an entire bottle of kvas each, but well enough to know what we were doing when working. Kirigan was going over some work as I read, curled up in a chair to the side of his desk, when Fedyor knocked on the door and walked in.

"General, Lieutenant," he said. "You wanted to see me?" Kirigan looked up and nodded.

"Yes, Fedyor," he confirmed. "Tell me, have you worked with a Heartrender by the name of Nina Zenik?" The Heartrender nodded.

"Once, yes. She's one of the best in the Second Army." Kirigan nodded.

"Quite." I stood up, placing my book on the table next to me, and walked over to the desk.

"Nina's been on a priority mission for us," I told Fedyor, "and she's not reported in. If she's alive, she may need our help." Fedyor smiled a bit.

"Knowing Nina, she's very much alive." Kirigan shook his head.

"I don't need your conjecture, Fedyor," he said. "I need you to find her for us." The man nodded and left, and I looked down at Kirigan, glaring playfully.

"What?" he asked me. I scoffed.

"Aleks!" I exclaimed. His eyes widened a bit, and a smile twitched at the corners of his lips.

"What??" I rolled my eyes, smacking his arm lightly.

"Play nice!" I scolded him. "Fedyor is a great fighter and a great friend." He nodded.

"I know that!" he countered. "But this is a very serious situation. I needed to make sure he knew that." I chuckled.

"Oh, I'm sure he got the message, don't worry." He chuckled quietly, and I rested my hands on the desk, leaning onto it. "How are things going with Alina?" He looked up at me and sighed.

"They are... She is learning," he said softly. "There is something holding her back. But she'll come around." I nodded.

"And what of the Winter Fete?" He sighed and nodded.

"She'll be ready." I furrowed my brows.

"What makes you so sure?" He shook his head, staring at the wall across the room.

"Just a feeling."

soooo.........

ngl i don't think you're prepared for the next chapter

just a hunch, but i don't think you are :]

   ~wolfie